High power with less consumption

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Nov 25, 2012.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Nov 25, 2012

  2. Gordon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Interesting. I significantly undervolt the CPU in this laptop. I run it so
    that it doesn't go over 2GHz [C2D T7400] which was 1.2125V factory spec but
    I have stable at 0.9750V. (Full speed, 2.13GHz, requires 1.0125V [down from
    1.3425V] to be stable. However it runs significantly hotter at that but only
    marginally 'faster'.)

    The benefit is that the fan doesn't come on very often and the battery life
    is extended by ~30%. It would be more but this laptop uses an IPS screen -
    about the most power-hungry type.

    I see in that article he intends to use it with an IPS screen but I dare say
    his is LED backlit where as mine isn't. :-/
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)