    Is it possible to buy a wireless adaptor, either PCMCIA or USB which
    will enhance the signal or an adaptor with an external antenna socket?

    Any ideas much appreciated.

    Alasdair, Apr 3, 2006

  2. Alasdair

    Scoresby Guest

    I definitely remember reading a review for a "high-gain" PCMCIA Wi-fi
    card. Frustrating, I can't remember the name of it..

    I don't think they even used the words "high-gain". I just know it was
    in Pc Pro magazine... the reviewer said it made a big difference to
    weak network signals.

    Obviously you'll pay a premium over a standard card...

    Scoresby, Apr 3, 2006

  3. Alasdair

    Crunch Guest

    Many of the older cards had external antenna jacks. Sadly most of the new
    ones don't. I've seen several older cards sold for more than what you would
    pay for a new... just because of the antenna jack.

    If you do get a card with a jack... you could make, or buy either an
    omni-directional antenna, or a directional one.

    Crunch, Apr 4, 2006
  4. Alasdair

    Bud Stein Guest

    Alasdair,

    Unless the router or access point is public by the guest house, be
    careful accessing other networks. The person running the open network
    access may not like unauthorized access.

    Bud Stein

    Bud Stein, Apr 5, 2006
  5. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    How can I find out who's running the open network so that I can ask
    permission and pay any fees if requested?

    Alasdair, Apr 6, 2006
  6. Alasdair

    Bud Stein Guest

    Alasdair,

    You might ask the owner of the guest house.

    Unfortunately many people leave their wireless networks open. In doing
    so, they are liable for the traffic over the network.

    Anyone can access the network and use it for any kind of activity.
    Sometimes this activity is not legal.

    People often read their email and use private logins plus passwords over
    these open networks. Anyone with the right software or hardware can
    monitor all the traffic over the network meaning the information is
    compromised.

    Be careful,
    Bud Stein

    Bud Stein, Apr 6, 2006