    Nikon D80 would be gratefully received. It is widely advertised at about
    £60, is it a bargain or junk?

    Malcolm

    Malcolm H, Jan 30, 2007

  2. Malcolm H

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    It is a mirror lens therefore it only has one aperture. I believe that the
    mount is a 'T' mount and they supply the relevant adaptor to fit to the
    camera.

    Neil Ellwood, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Malcolm H

    Malcolm H Guest

    I do appreciate that it has only one aperture (F8) but I need to know if the
    metering works so that the shutter speed can be set automatically in
    aperture priority mode.

    Malcolm H, Jan 30, 2007
  4. Malcolm H

    Charles Guest

    That's more of a question about the camera than it is the lens. What
    does the camera do if you try to take a -picture with no lens
    attached.

    I use Canon, I don't know about Nikon, but the no-lens thing and a
    T-Mount mirror appear the same to the camera.

    Obviously you won't get an image, but see if you can get an exposure,
    should be medium gray.

    Charles, Jan 30, 2007
  5. Malcolm H

    Rudy Benner Guest

    You will have no metering. The aperture is fixed. Bohkah is characteristic
    of reflex lenses.
    I have a Russian 500mm/ƒ5.6 and it has very little depth of field.

    Works in MANUAL only on my D-50. I see no reason why it should not be the
    same on a D-80.

    Rudy Benner, Jan 30, 2007
  6. Malcolm H

    Rudy Benner Guest

    Yes, its the same for Nikon. Manual only. No metering. Manual focus.

    f8 is actually better than f5.6, increased depth of field, much needed.

    Rudy Benner, Jan 30, 2007
  7. Malcolm H

    Malcolm H Guest

    Yes I confirm My D80 shutter works only in Manual with no lens.

    What about my original question #2 - is the 500mm Opteka Mirror a bargain or
    junk???

    Malcolm H, Jan 30, 2007
  8. Malcolm H

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Cheap mirror lenses are in general junk.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 30, 2007
  9. Little Juice Coupe, Jan 30, 2007
  10. No, the D80 will not meter with this lens. You would need the D200 for that.

    Henk & Marga Jamin, Jan 30, 2007
  11. Malcolm H

    ink Guest

    Malcolm,

    Paul is most definitely right... I have a Phoenix Samyang 500mm f/8 cat
    lens, and it IS junk... wish I'd never got it and used the money for
    something worthwhile. Like a beer. Oh well, you live and learn... ;-)

    Cheers,
    ink

    ink, Jan 31, 2007
  12. Malcolm H

    Malcolm H Guest

    Thank you for that ink, my suspicions confirmed!!

    Malcolm H, Jan 31, 2007