    5seconds switches the computer off. When I start it again Vista starts
    from scratch (previous session with running programs is lost)
    I have Intel core2quad on GA-965P-S3 mobo with 3GB RAM

    VitasLoWang, Apr 12, 2008

  2. Hibernate with 3 GB can take a LONG time. Screen will go dark, fans will
    spin, and it will sit there for quite a while. Then finally speed up the HD
    / Fans, and eventually shut off.

    Honestly, MS recommends either sleep, or shutdown, for >=2GB of RAM. Sleep
    will cut the overall power use substantially, and recovery is still quick.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 12, 2008

  3. VitasLoWang

    Zootal Guest

    FWIW, all versions of Windows are plagued with not going into
    hibernation/standy, or worse, not coming back out. Only one of the ten boxes
    I currently work with will actually go into hibernation and come back. Of
    the rest half go in but won't come out, the other half just lock up. I have
    given up on getting Windows to sleep or hibernate a long time ago.

    I used to have a keyboard with a sleep button on it. Every now and then I
    would accidently press the sleep button, and when I did SPLATTO, there goes
    all of my work, and bye bye unsaved files.

    Yes, I know there are plenty of people here that will tell me all about how
    their boxes hibernate/sleep just fine. Good for you :). Very few of mine
    will....

    Zootal, Apr 12, 2008
  4. VitasLoWang

    VitasLoWang Guest

    It seems it works now! I installed SP1 and tried it - display
    immediatelly switched off and then I had to wait maybe a couple of
    minutes (!) until the computer switched off! Now I am not sure if the
    SP1 really helped or I just did not have the patience to wait until
    computer shuts down when I was trying it before :)
    WTH isn't there any progress bar as it is in XP?

    VitasLoWang, Apr 12, 2008
  5. Just a different way of doing it. SP1 does help - that's an area they did
    some work on. but I suspect before you just weren't patient enough.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 12, 2008
  6. VitasLoWang

    TJD Guest

    I too have trouble with sleep/hibernate and I have 8 GB of RAM. I am
    thinking changing my bios settings. What is the difference between standby
    S1 and S3 in bios? I currently have the bios set to "S1 and S3," so I
    thought I had all bases covered, but now I am beginning to wonder.

    TJD, Apr 13, 2008
  7. I'm not sure what each state is. But if you're trying to hibernate a 8GB
    machine... Don't.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 13, 2008
  8. VitasLoWang

    TJD Guest

    Now you're scaring me! Why not?

    TJD, Apr 13, 2008
  9. VitasLoWang

    Jane C Guest

    Jane C, Apr 13, 2008
  10. VitasLoWang

    Zootal Guest

    Yeesh. Thank you, Microsoft, for arbitrarily deciding what I can and what I
    can't do....

    If I want to hibernate my 8GB machine, and if it takes 10 minutes to go to
    sleep, that is my problem, and my choice - not Microsofts. Well, OK, in
    theory it should be my choice to make...

    Zootal, Apr 13, 2008
  11. VitasLoWang

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Zootal"
    This is very likely not arbitrary -- I'm not sure if you noticed, but
    4GB is a bit of a "magic" number in the computing world, and it's quite
    possible that the hibernation system simply can't handle more then
    2**32bytes.

    Poor design, I'll give you that one, but it's a design limit that makes
    sense, given the nature of computing when hibernation was added to the
    NT family.

    DevilsPGD, Apr 13, 2008
  12. See the explanation of power states at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

    S3 requires drivers, BIOS and hardware to meet the correct specification and
    work together and can be a problem with some hardware combinations when the
    system will either not go into a S3 sleep state or will not recover
    correctly. Only testing will confirm that S3 is workable on a system.

    Dominic Payer, Apr 13, 2008
  13. VitasLoWang

    VitasLoWang Guest

    OK, but why there is no progress bar while hibernating? This is very
    stupid...

    VitasLoWang, Apr 14, 2008
  14. VitasLoWang

    XS11E Guest

    It's easy to fix, a friend and I spent a week decrapifying his new PC,
    installing all his software (there was a LOT!) and updating everything
    to work properly after moving from XP to Vista on his new machine. It
    wouldn't come out of hibernation, Circuit City told him it was under
    warranty and they'd fix it for no charge.

    It took them only about 30 minutes to fix the problem, they did a
    restore! One week's work down the drain....

    If you have a system under warranty do NOT allow anyone to fix it under
    warranty, they'll immediately do a full system restore w/o even looking
    at the problem. That's the only thing their minimum wage "techs" know
    how to do.

    XS11E, Apr 15, 2008
  15. VitasLoWang

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message
    <>
    The theory is that when you show users a progress bar, they sit there
    and watch it needlessly. Without a progress bar, you tell the computer
    to hibernate, stand up and walk away.

    DevilsPGD, Apr 15, 2008
  16. Hum, my Dell M1710 laptop (x86) has 4 GB on board and now there no longer is
    a Hibernate setting.

    It came from the factory with 2 GB and Hibernate worked fine...

    Strange!

    Gary J. Dikkema, Apr 15, 2008
  17. normal. MS disables the hibernate option if you have >2GB of RAM.

    You can still force it with shutdown /h

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 16, 2008
  18. Suspect disk cleanup killed the hibernate file Charlie... fixed it with the
    powercfg -h on command.

    Thanks!

    Gary J. Dikkema, Apr 17, 2008
  19. VitasLoWang

    VitasLoWang Guest

    STILL DOES NOT WORK!!
    I was wrong in my last post - it still does not hibernate often
    (computer fans still running, just display off)
    Today I switched on the computer and it offered me the error start
    menu (last known good and so on) so the last shutdown (or
    hibernate...I am not sure now) was somehow bad. I have this in
    eventlog:
    "The previous system shutdown at 20:43:05 on 16.4.2008 was unexpected."

    VitasLoWang, Apr 17, 2008
  20. Update to SP1. The chances are good that will solve it. If not, you're going
    to need to disable autostart applications until you discover which one is
    causing the issue.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 18, 2008