    What in your opinion is the best for more of a cheap price also and
    quality?

    Thanks.

    jkygogo, Feb 25, 2006

  2. jkygogo

    Bob Guest

    The quality of blank discs has deteriorated markedly as manufacturers
    attempt to meet the explosive demand that has occurred recently. If
    anyone disagrees with my assessment below, make sure you are up to
    date in your assessment.

    There is only one +/-R disc you can trust completely - Taiyo Yuden
    (TY). For +/- RW, go with Verbatim, since TY does not make re-writable
    discs. All the others are either pure crap or a crap shoot.

    Mitsubishi Chemical Co, makers of Verbatim, has opened new plants
    outside Japan and the discs coming from those plants are highly
    variable. I had 12 coasters out of 90 burns with a batch of 16x -Rs
    about 3 months ago (burnt at 12x). They were made at MCC's new
    facility in Taiwan.

    The top three suppliers for TY are:

    rima.com
    supermediastore.com
    meritline.com

    The cost of shipping pays for sales tax and gas on a local purchase,
    so it's a wash. I just got 100 TY 8x -Rs from Rima for 32 cents plus
    shipping, a total of about 37 cents each.

    While you are there, look at some of the things like small cakeboxes
    for storage, disc cleaners, wallets, etc, because the incremental cost
    of shipping them with 100 discs is nominal.

    Bob, Feb 25, 2006

  3. jkygogo

    Vinella Guest

    There is no such thing. The quality not only varies with brand but from
    batch to batch within the same brand.

    The only way I have found to work is to purchase three or four brands
    during a part of the month that is slow for retail sales. (So that the
    same stock is still on the shelf). Do some fast testing on each, then go
    back and stock up on whichever is best, making sure that the lot numbers
    are the same.

    Vin

    Vinella, Feb 25, 2006
  4. jkygogo

    Alpha Guest

    Taiyo Yuden for inexpensive discs. Supermeidastore or meritline as vendor.

    For the very best, Mitusi-A gold DVD-R.

    Alpha, Feb 25, 2006
  5. jkygogo

    Bob Guest

    While even Taiyo Yuden will have an occasional coaster, the success
    rate is very high compared to the others. Even the others once
    considered the best are now a crap shoot.
    Better yet, buy only TY at the largest wholesalers like rima.com.

    Bob, Feb 25, 2006
  6. jkygogo

    Bob Guest

    Check with rima.com too.

    Bob, Feb 25, 2006
  7. jkygogo

    jkygogo Guest

    With all the inferior quality available out there, I can only mainly
    rely on my VCR. In fact when I want to make sure I get some recorded,
    I have been attempting to burn discs on my Cyberhome 1200 (rather
    unreliable DVD burner) while at the same time recording on the VCR
    which I did while watching the Olympics this year. Pretty sad that the
    technology is not up there with the more reliable VCR at present. I
    can be more trusting of my VCR rather than my DVD burner, pretty sad.

    jkygogo, Feb 28, 2006
  8. For more reliable recordings, use a Tivo or a DVD recorder with an
    internal hard drive. If you record first to the hard drive (Tivo or
    DVDR) *then* to a DVD, you can always re-record if the DVD blank is
    bad. And, if you're using a DVDR with a hard drive, you can dump to
    the DVD at a reasonable speed instead of 1X. Plus, if you choose, you
    can edit the content before recording.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Feb 28, 2006