    i read on a help site to edit the registry keys for the Upper and Lower Key
    Files.....But when I click delete It tells me those files can't be
    deleted....I am stumped...anyone have any other Ideas

    GccTx, May 30, 2005

  2. GccTx

    Toolman Tim Guest

    First thing I'd try, since they are showing in Device Manager, is right
    click on My Computer, select Manage, go down to Disk Management, and check
    to see if they have drive names assigned. If not, try assigning drive names,
    or changing drive names. May not help, but for sure won't hurt <g>

    Toolman Tim, May 30, 2005

  3. GccTx

    GccTx Guest

    They are not even in there.....Now i am really stumped...

    Good thing I have Twin Maxtor Diamond Max 160's, I am just going to move
    everything I want to save over to the one I have labeled just as storage and
    format the primary....sheesh

    Although I have been wanting to Upgrade from XP Home to Pro....Guess Now's
    the time....Sigh

    GccTx, May 30, 2005
  4. GccTx

    Toolman Tim Guest

    What possible reason would you have to upgrade to Pro? Are you on a
    corporate network domain? Do you require file encryption? If not, don't
    waste the money. Home and Pro are built on the same platform. The
    differences are usually not significant in a single user environment.

    Toolman Tim, May 30, 2005
  5. GccTx

    GccTx Guest

    I don't really have one I guess, better network security was my main reason
    but if you think its not a good idea i will reconsider, I have both already
    so either one is no problem.

    Back to the OP.....do you think that formatting and a fresh install of the
    OS is more then likely my only resort here?

    GccTx, May 30, 2005
  6. GccTx

    Parko Guest

    GccTx wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:
    No. Try sfc /scannow from a command prompt and have any XP disc handy to
    insert in the relevant orifice, or run the XP installer and select repair
    when prompted. Back up your goodies first.

    Parko, May 30, 2005
  7. http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314060&x=13&y=13

    (it's about upper and lower filter entries in the registry).
    You might also want to use system restore and go back to before it happened.
    Btw. did you install or uninstall cd/dvd/packet writing software?

    Walter Mautner, May 30, 2005
  8. GccTx

    Gary Guest

    Is it possible that the ribbon cable is just unplugged? I'd disconnect
    the ribbon and power from the unseen drives, restart the computer, make
    sure you delete any drivers related to the drives. Turn it off,
    reconnect the drives and restart. See if they are found by Windows and
    drivers installed. Also look at the bios and see if anything may have
    changed that would preclude the computer from seeing any drives.

    Gary, May 30, 2005