Here's a new one! clicking on an AVI file causes explorer to close

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lookout, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. Lookout

    Lookout Guest

    Clicking on SOME .avi files causes a message to come up:
    "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
    are sorry for the inconvenience."

    AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: xvid.dll
    ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00033633

    but it runs fine. I can continue to view other movies.

    More fun? If I try to delete it I can't. If I close explorer when I
    reopen it the file been deleted. Wait..more fun! If I continue to
    view other movies in the directory SOMETIMES I can go back and delete
    what I want INLCUDING that file. And sometimes I can move other files
    to other directories but not that file and sometimes I can't move
    other files. I haven't been able to detect a pattern yet of why I can
    delete after I view other movies but I believe it involves what file
    types are involved. These are vids downloaded from adult newgroups.

    This happens EVERY time on SOME avi files. In other words if it does
    it once with a file it does it every time. If I view it through Agent
    (as it downloads) this doesn't happen. If I open it going through a
    video program it runs fine and no message.

    Don't love problems like this? I've run FixIt Utility's registry
    fixer\cleaner which I've used for years and this doesn't help. It's a
    very minor inconvenience but sometimes someone figures it out.

    Lookout, Nov 26, 2005

  2. Lookout

    fred-bloggs Guest

    Try re-installing Xvid ?
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/

    fred-bloggs, Nov 26, 2005

  3. Lookout

    Lookout Guest

    What would that have to do with some files in the directory but not
    how they view?

    Lookout, Nov 27, 2005
  4. Lookout

    fred-bloggs Guest

    ^^^^^^^^^
    Explorer snoops the .avi to discover dimensions, duration, frame rate
    etc.

    You could also try

    Start Menu
    Run...
    regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
    OK

    which uninstalls the snooper, you lose the details in Explorer.

    You can re-install it similarly
    regsvr32 shmedia.dll

    fred-bloggs, Nov 27, 2005
  5. Lookout

    Zeyra

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    hi, i like to thanks to fred-bloggs for his advise, duo i used to have the same problem and reinstalling ffdshow i solved it. pardorn my english

    Zeyra, Jun 19, 2009