here we go again

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Mar 8, 2006.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Mar 8, 2006

  2. Peter

    Dave Taylor Guest

    I RTFA and I would like to know what other search engine has a slider?

    Dave Taylor, Mar 8, 2006

  3. T'was the Wed, 08 Mar 2006 19:26:29 +1300 when I remembered Peter
    See, I used MSN search every now and then. It still didn't find for me
    what I wanted as easily as Google did (and it was on a Microsoft
    website no less).

    Just now I searched for "velvety voice verizon" relating to that
    Computerworld article I posted two posts back. The Google search
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=velvety+voice+verizon came up with
    the correct result for the first five entries. The MSN search
    http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=velvety+voice+verizon had 8
    incorrect results, the first five being spam for ringtones, the next
    two for CDs, one for "La Marmite Restaurant - Menu" (What this has to
    do with Verizon I don't know, and Marmite as a restaurant name?
    Marmite doesn't bring up feelings of fine dining), and then the
    required result.

    MSN, I don't want fancy search features. I just want the right
    results. And so, I still use Google.

    Oh, I followed up the La Marmite link. Only link to Verizon? The URL
    to the website is
    http://verizonsupersite.com/lamarmiterestaurantcom/menu/, I don't
    really consider that to be a valid search result.

    While I'm up, I tried other search engines from back in the day.
    Lycos, second result was correct. Altavista, first result was correct.
    Yahoo, first result correct. Ask Jeeves, second result. First result
    for Excite. First result from AlltheWeb. Baidu didn't have the correct
    result at all. Second for Gigablast. First for LookSmart. First for
    Clusty. First for WiseNut.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 8, 2006
  4. Peter

    GraB Guest

    Beats me how MS can be thinking about getting into search engines. I
    have tried searching on known MS security bulletins on the MS website
    and drawn a blank. Their own search can't find one of their own
    security bulletins! I always get such a result when searching on the
    MS website.

    GraB, Mar 8, 2006
  5. I always used to use Dogpile (http://www.dogpile.com/), it polls a bunch of
    search engines at once. I've just checked it out for the first time in
    yaonks, having no need to go any further than Google in the last few years.
    I see MSN search has made it onto Dogpile and a lot of others have dropped
    off.

    (For some unknown reason my Actrix internet access is abysmally slow right
    now, my NZ-based homepage didn't even load (2M connection) and Dogpile is
    still loading after 4 minutes)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 8, 2006
  6. Hmmm. Nearly 2am and Actrix hasn't re-set my speed. My plan is 1GB a day at
    2M/128kbps then dropping to 64/64kbps until midnite each day.

    In the month I've been with them the speed has been re-set at, or within 10
    minutes of, midnite - so far. (I save my heavy surfing for after midnite,
    then leave downloads going when I go to bed). Two hours late is a bit much.
    Helpdesk is only until 10pm too so I can't call them.

    Ho Hum.

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 8, 2006
  7. Finally re-set and 2M again at 2:15am or thereabouts. Ok, off to check those
    Toms hardware links before bed. :).

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 8, 2006
  8. Perhaps it's wanting to have a legitimate front for a search for
    DRM-infringing material. Perhaps.

    I mean, why should Micro$oft - a monopolistic software marketing
    corporation - go snooping around other people's computers?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 8, 2006
  9. I was away from home most of yesterday, but I had terrible trouble in the
    morning - I coudn't even retrieve articles from news.individual net.
    Started late-ish the evening before. Resetting the router didn't help, either.
    I'm wondering if there was a 'net bottleneck some place.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Mar 9, 2006
  10. Yes, could well have been. Bittorrent ran really slowly in the am.

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 9, 2006
  11. Peter

    SchoolTech Guest

    SchoolTech, Mar 9, 2006