HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Conor, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. Conor

    Conor Guest

    Conor, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Conor

    Ionizer Guest

    Ionizer, Jun 26, 2004

  3. Conor

    Trev Guest

    Trev, Jun 26, 2004
  4. Conor

    Tx2 Guest

    I started using Firefox a while ago, but i can't get certain java
    'bits' to work on certain sites (i don't recall URL's right now)

    I've had to keep IE in the background for such issues, which really
    annoys me.

    Just looking for a nice Outlook Express alternative (i actually like
    OE's interface) and i can move away from MS internetivity!

    Dam shame it IE can't be removed from the OS (XP in my case) entirely...

    Tx2, Jun 26, 2004
  5. Conor

    Tim Downie Guest

    Ditto. Much as I'd like to ditch IE, as long as there are sites out there
    that I regularly use that *can't* be displayed by alternative browsers, I'll
    hang on to IE.

    Perhaps it's time to try Opera again.

    Tim

    Tim Downie, Jun 26, 2004
  6. Trev posted:

    Now in English, please.

    --
    Paul-B

    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
    - Mario Andretti

    Reply to address is spam-trap. Use paul at streetka dot biz if you
    really must!

    Paul-B - the original and the best!, Jun 26, 2004
  7. Conor

    Rob Morley Guest

    I tend to try Firefox on sites that Opera can't handle, before I resort
    to IE - there aren't many non-ActiveX sites that they can't handle
    between them, but you do need to keep IE for some stuff :-(
    For news Gravity is good and free. For mail The Bat! is good but not
    free.
    http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

    Rob Morley, Jun 26, 2004
  8. Conor

    Conor Guest

    THe "IE View" Firefox browser extension might be of interest to you.

    Conor, Jun 26, 2004
  9. Quoth the raven Tx2:
    Probably sites requiring the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine?
    Try Thunderbird, the mail/news companion of Firefox.

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 26, 2004
  10. Conor

    Jason Wade Guest

    Mozilla has both email and browser components:
    http://www.mozilla.org/

    Buy the cd to support the developers if you want to.

    Jason Wade, Jun 26, 2004
  11. Conor

    Toshi1873 Guest

    MicroPlanet Gravity is also extremely flexible. I have
    rules setup to automatically highlight any threads that
    I've participated in. (Which makes it very easy to keep
    track.) Mozilla's news reader still has issues with
    thread sorting, and lacks useful features like being
    able to ignore an entire thread, or watching a
    particular thread.

    Only downside to Gravity is that it's a bit of a memory
    hog if you follow a lot of active groups. (My copy is
    eating 250MB at the moment, version 2.60b.) It's also a
    bit dated (used to be a commercial product, later
    abandoned, and there's a single developer left who works
    on it for free... or something along those lines).

    Toshi1873, Jun 26, 2004
  12. Conor

    Toshi1873 Guest

    IntelliCast's weather radar "java loop" didn't work for
    me either in Firefox until I found the proper JVM to
    install (jre-1.4.1-win32.xpi).

    http://downloads.mozdev.org/java/

    No clue whether the above works with Firefox 0.9 or the
    latest Mozilla releases, check the release notes for an
    updated JRE.

    http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.7/
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/downloads.html

    Toshi1873, Jun 26, 2004
  13. Conor

    JAD Guest

    scaredy cats

    yeah let the hackers (employed by various entities) run your life....
    I'll kick that exploit, like the rest, straight to the curb with the
    rest of the trash....I will not be tricked into thinking we need
    GOVERNMENT interference in the net.

    JAD, Jun 26, 2004
  14. Conor

    Tx2 Guest

    Yes, i use Gravity 2.60b (wish i could get the x-archive header right
    though!!)
    Not concerned about free, but would like something that works as well as
    OE can, looks as straightforward, but is less prone to security issues.
    Interesting ....

    Tx2, Jun 26, 2004
  15. Conor

    Tx2 Guest

    Yes, have tried that, but i like the way you can set up multiple POP
    accounts in OE and not have to switch back and forth between them.

    I tried setting up Thunderbird with my 5 accounts i use, plus the
    folders i filter messages into, and i had a folder list that disappeared
    off the screen!

    Maybe i set it up wrong?

    Tx2, Jun 26, 2004
  16. Conor

    Tim Auton Guest

    Just take your pill and go back to bed. There's a good boy.

    Tim

    Tim Auton, Jun 26, 2004
  17. Conor

    Tim Auton Guest

    For mail, have you tried Eudora? It doesn't do news though. I use
    Agent for that.

    Tim

    Tim Auton, Jun 26, 2004
  18. Conor

    JAD Guest

    what nothing better to do but bash mS ...why complain to the software
    makers? its another asshole human being causing the problem, much like
    yourself.

    JAD, Jun 26, 2004
  19. Conor

    Tx2 Guest

    [...]
    use someone else's registered domain to post from?
    you have permission to use coldmail.com do you?

    I doubt it.

    Tx2, Jun 26, 2004
  20. Conor

    JAD Guest