HELPPPP! (Verdammdt handles)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Robert Baer, Dec 1, 2013.

  1. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    I have a copy of Distiller too.

    Distiller converts a PostScript file, into a PDF file for viewing.

    In some cases, there is a separate PDF print driver. I think
    Adobe made one of those.

    But Distiller itself, is not a print driver. It was originally
    designed, to be set up as a departmental server, with a drag
    and drop folder to hold InBasket (PostScript) and OutBasket (PDF).
    Anyone in a department, could drop a PostScript file into a
    share folder, Distiller would run, convert to PDF, and delete
    the originating PostScript.

    You can also find third-party PDF print drivers, negating
    the need for Distiller. At least, if you're making
    your own documents. The availability of PDF print drivers
    from third-parties, has eclipsed the need for Distiller.

    Even LibreOffice, I think you can make PDF output, via the
    menu in there. No separate PostScript step is required at all.

    Occasionally, I will download a PostScript file off the net,
    and then, that's when Distiller is the way to go. As there
    are fewer good options for me to use, otherwise. (Ghostscript
    doesn't always work.)

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 11, 2013

  2. Robert Baer

    VanguardLH Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Distiller

    If "printing" to PDF files is causing the problem using Distiller (the
    "PDF Writer" printer) then it looks like it is corrupted. Through
    sequential updates of Acrobat maybe the PDF printer driver or software
    got screwed up.

    Unless Adobe's PDF Writer emulated printer gives you some esoteric
    features that you cannot live without, why not use a different PDF
    printer tools (e.g., BullZip PDF Printer, PDFxchange Lite, CutePDF, etc
    and all free for non-commercial use)?

    How much have you tweaked Acrobat itself. It not much or you can
    reproduce the settings without a ton of effort, why not uninstall
    Acrobat (and everything that goes with it and making sure the PDF Writer
    printer is uninstalled after Acrobat's uninstall) and reinstall it? Do
    the upgrades, if that's how you got to your current state for Acrobat,
    require a prior version of Acrobat be already installed? Or do you just
    do the upgrade install alone (perhaps with a CD for the old version)?

    *WHOA!!!* How old is this version of Adobe Acrobat? You mentioned using
    version 4.05. I thought that was an ancient version but I didn't dwell
    on it at the time. That's damn old as it was released back in 1999.
    Windows XP hadn't even been released by then. Even with Microsoft
    Office, old versions of software may not work correctly under versions
    of Windows that were later released. Acrobat 11 was released in Oct
    2012. Time to upgrade or find a cheaper alternative PDF editor.

    Unless you get a newer version that actually states it is supported by
    Windows 7 (which you say you are using) then I'm done here. I didn't
    realize you were trying to use some super old version of Acrobat under
    Windows 7. That you paid a lot for it back then or it was "borrowed"
    from work and you got it free doesn't preclude that such an old version
    was obviously never designed to work on a version of Windows that was
    released *10* years later.

    If the ancient Acrobat 4.05 ran okay, especially its PDF printer, back
    under Windows XP and you still want to use that old version of Acrobat,
    and if you have a edition of Windows that supports XP Mode, then install
    the 2 downloads from Microsoft to enable XP Mode, read up on it online,
    and install the old Acrobat in the Windows XP virtual machine and run it
    from there. Note that everything that runs inside a virtual machine on
    its emulated hardware (except for the CPU) will run slower than on the
    native hardware. Once you install Acrobat inside the virtual machine, I
    think an entry will show up in your Start menu for Windows Virtual PC
    under which are listed the apps you installed in the virtual machine.
    The virtualized app will open its own window (instead of having to
    display the VM guest OS's desktop window in which the app window opens)
    so it looks like a app running on the host OS. Slower is better than
    phucked up but a free or cheap PDF editor you can afford that is
    currently supported under Windows 7 would be better.

    VanguardLH, Dec 11, 2013

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    * Never installed Distiller.
    * I block ALL updates of ALL programs, OSes, etc with only one
    exception: AV files.
    * Did that; no change.
    * With one exception i NEVER do upgrades. Exception is when i build a
    fresh HD; start with Win2K SP2, upgrade to SP4 the the "rollup" which is
    the equivalent of SP5.
    * No prior versions, no upgrades, only one install: Acrobat 4.05 .
    * Acrobat 9.0 is the most recent version that will work in Win2K, and
    for what i do,it is a POS; 4.05 has been as reliable as DOS.

    This business of locked and/or "corrupted" files is now across a
    number of apps: Acrobat 4.05 (1999), Paraben Screen Capture 4.32.01
    (2002), and CorelDraw 9.349 (2000).
    * Never said was using anything in Win7; been months since i even
    plugged that HD in.
    * Am using Win2K "SP5".
    * Not even XP can fully run on my hardware, and more recent OSes are
    worse: video, audio, and ethernet (mandatory for the net) for starters..
    And even slightly newer hardware does not directly support PATA where
    everything "lives".

    Robert Baer, Dec 12, 2013
  4. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Well,i can reliably make SeaMonkey crash; there is no crash report.
    1) I go to http://www.pcbcart.com/, login and fill out particulars.
    2) get quote and want a copy, so (attempt to) print (makes NO
    difference what printer is selected).
    3) SeaMonkey crashes!

    How the F can i catch the culprit?

    *BTW, the HD passes all tests (Chkdsk /r, SpinRite).

    Robert Baer, Dec 12, 2013
  5. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    The page has some what could be unicode characters on it.
    Maybe Win2K doesn't like that ? Or whatever print
    driver you're using ? Seamonkey can also play a part,
    as the browsers have used different printing subsystems
    over the years. Firefox has re-written theirs a couple times.

    http://i42.tinypic.com/11ghz6a.gif

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 12, 2013
  6. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Gee..."like" that "click for larger view" and get a smaller one..
    *
    I think i will vote for stupid unicode characters, even tho i tried
    the Canon BJC-4100 driver and Print Preview.
    Thanks.

    Robert Baer, Dec 13, 2013
  7. Robert Baer

    wilson Guest

    I also am running Windows 2000 but with SP 4. Is SP
    5 better? If so. How can I get a copy?

    Any and all help appreciated.

    Lee

    wilson, Dec 14, 2013
  8. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    After SP4, comes Update Rollup 1. There are two versions of
    Update Rollup 1.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922979

    I think this is version 2.

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18997

    There is also a Kernelex for Win2K. But I don't what that
    is or what it does. Someone mentioned you could add it to
    Win2K for some reason.

    http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149233-kernelex-for-win2000/

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2000

    "As of fall 2012, a couple of projects by several members
    of the MSFN.org community have been undergoing development
    to extend Windows 2000's core kernel functions allowing
    newer programs such as Windows Media Player 10,
    Windows Movie Maker 2.6 for Windows Vista, and even
    DirectX 9.0c June 2010 build to function. These projects
    include extended kernel and unofficial updates rollup
    respectfully. Extended kernel, which is similar to
    KernelEx for Windows 98/Me, installs updated system files
    that include added dependencies that newer programs require
    to function properly. Unofficial service pack 5.2 is also
    in development which is to include all Microsoft .NET
    framework packages, updates found in the unofficial
    updates rollup package, as well as the extended kernel
    package."

    That's obviously for "hard core" Win2K users :)

    *******

    Obligatory Avast blurb...

    To remove the non-compliant Avast signature attached to
    your posting:

    "From the avastUI > Settings > Active Protection >
    Mail Shield > Settings (wrench icon) >
    Behavior - General section >

    "Uncheck" Insert note into clean message (outgoing)"

    That'll remove the "free from viruses and malware"
    at the end of your posting.

    *******

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 14, 2013
  9. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Cannot find Active Protection or a wrench icon; bypassed that and
    went to Settings in Mail Shield - has no such box to check/uncheck.

    Robert Baer, Dec 14, 2013
  10. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    I had responded with a posting that included a bunch of attachments,
    all related to Win2K hotfixes.
    That posting has vaporized.

    "SP5" is the name that i understand was given to the final" rollup
    hotfix.
    For installation, a few programs and drivers need "SP5"; as i
    remember those tell you which KB to consult.

    I did all of this so long ago that i do not remember exactly which
    one(s) i used.

    I do not remember which of the programs i ran to update Win2K SP4.
    My Add/Remove Programs list shows the following:
    Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4
    Windows 2000 Hotfix - KB816542

    I hope this is of help.

    Those programs that I sent can be found at:
    http://www.oil4lessllc.org/Win2K/

    Robert Baer, Dec 14, 2013
  11. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    KB891861 is most likely the only one i installed; it is in the list i
    put up on my site.
    *
    Thanks for the additional info.
    Please keep me posted regarding SP5.2 !

    Robert Baer, Dec 14, 2013
  12. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    The 18997 (second link) allows download of
    Windows2000-KB891861-v2-x86-ENU.EXE which is exactly what i have.
    Nice to know i am reasonably current.

    Robert Baer, Dec 14, 2013
  13. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    * DAMN! M$ advertises "LogMeIn"; warn everyone as to the nastiness of it!
    It grabs resources and is almost impossible to RIP out; un-install
    does almost nothing.
    Even heavy registry editing cannot remove all of it.

    Robert Baer, Dec 14, 2013
  14. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    The most modern version of Avast is spamming people.

    And you're not running that version.

    If your USENET postings had the spam at the bottom
    of the message, then those instructions would have
    been for you. Since Wilson shows the spam at the
    bottom of his message, I gave the instructions to
    remove it. It's my job.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 14, 2013
  15. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Good enough!
    I have version 8.0.1501; which version should i avoid?

    Robert Baer, Dec 15, 2013
  16. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Paul, Dec 15, 2013
  17. Robert Baer

    wilson Guest

    --
    Thanks to everyone for the W2000 help, I will be working on the last
    upgrade to W2000 next week end.

    In the meantime, I am sorry about that avast message. Paul, I followed
    your directions above and they seem to do the job. I guess we will know
    when I try to send the messasge.

    Lee

    wilson, Dec 16, 2013
  18. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Thanks.
    I note the wording refers to the free version; no hint regarding a
    paid version.
    In any case,i will try to avoid ver 9.

    Robert Baer, Dec 16, 2013
  19. Robert Baer

    Daniel47 Guest

    Robert, when you re-start SeaMonkey, have a look at the Error Console
    (Tools->Web Development->Error Console) to see if there is something
    there that might give some indication of what's going wrong!! To make it
    easier to see what's causing the problem, it might be worthwhile going
    there now and clearing the list!

    Also, for further assistance, you could try posting to the
    mozilla.support.seamonkey on news.mozilla.com or on groups-google!

    Daniel

    Daniel47, Dec 19, 2013