Help XP won't read second hard disc!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Richard Webb, May 21, 2005.

  1. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    Hi

    Have dual booting with Win98 & WinXP (with no service packs).

    All discs & partitions Fat32

    Disc 1 (Master) formatted with 4 partitions (Win98, WinXP, Working, Data)
    Disc 2 (Slave) formatted with 4 partitions (Backup, Old, Spare)

    Following a power failure, XP fails to read Disc2 stating it is not
    formatted! Boot into Win98, all partitions & data on Disc 2 read fine!!

    Have run scandisk on all partitions in Win98, with no improvement in XP.

    Partition Magic (in XP) reads the partitions, but the first two names are
    jumbled.

    I could reformat the disc, but don't really want to if someone has a
    solution,

    Any ideas?

    Richard

    Richard Webb, May 21, 2005

  2. Richard Webb

    pcbutts1 Guest

    No service packs? what are you crazy? Update your system.

    pcbutts1, May 21, 2005

  3. Richard Webb

    Billy Guest

    Try a chkdsk /r on the second drive.

    Billy, May 21, 2005
  4. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    Hi

    Many thanks for that.

    Chdsk advises me that this is a RAW drive & cannot operate.

    I am sure I formatted it as Fat32!!

    Any more ideas?

    many thanks

    Richard