Help!!! Won't display anything....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, May 28, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello,

    Heres my problem.. One day my friend and I decided to open up his
    comp to figure out what type RAM it had. After we did that we toke
    off the heatsink just for the fun of it. (We were wearing a grounding
    bracelet the whole time.) When we put the heatsink back on and closed
    it up. Next time we tried to start it, it had some problems. The
    fans are running and the CD drive blinks its green little light when
    it comes on, but nothing is displayed on the screen. I tried the CD
    drive and it works (opens and closes fine). Also the light next to
    the cylinder drawing on the front of the comp doesn't turn on and
    either does the green light that confirms that the power is on. I'm
    starting to suspect an motherboard failure, but I'm not smart enough
    to know. The only thing that was giving them trouble before this was
    the hard drive, which now and then failed and wouldn't boot up.
    BTW, the comp is a Dell P3 1.3Ghz 128RAM WindowsME

    Please help!

    Thank you!

    John, May 28, 2004

  2. John

    °Mike° Guest

    Send/take your computer to a qualified technician,
    and try to refrain from taking it apart "for the fun
    of it".

    On 28 May 2004 11:42:26 -0700, in
    <>
    John scrawled:

    <snip>

    °Mike°, May 28, 2004

  3. John

    anon Guest

    Just 'for the fun of it' is no longer fun, you may have damaged cpu or
    mobo - in your case I think you ought to take it to a Tech shop.

    anon, May 28, 2004
  4. John

    John Holmes Guest

    John came up with this:
    Reseat your video card.

    John Holmes, May 28, 2004
  5. What kind of thermal transfer compound was between the HS and the CPU
    die? What steps did you take to reinstall the HS properly, so that
    heat transfer between the die and it was as efficient as before you
    dismounted it?

    Blinky the Shark, May 29, 2004