Help with ws_ftp pro ver7.62 2002.12.18 and belkin wireless cable/dsl gateway router

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jon, Jun 13, 2006.

  1. jon

    jon Guest

    Hello,
    The problem that I basically am having is trying to connect to a ftp site
    using my ws_ftp pro software while connecting to the internet with my belkin
    F5d6231-4 router. Here is the situation that I have.
    I am connected wired to a lan system with basically a win98 computer and a
    laptop xphome computer all computers can share and see each other with no
    problem and I don't have any print sharing. Now on my windows 98 machine I
    have the ws_ftp pro software load and in my belkin router I went to the
    setup under virtual server and typed in the following:
    enable description inbound port type private ip address
    private port
    check ftp server 21 -21 tcp 192.168.2.100
    21-21
    Now when I try to go to my ftp program and click connect I get the error
    message connection failed
    and yes my password and hostname or ip address that I am connected to is
    correct.
    Does anyone have some suggestions what I am doing wrong.
    Thank you

    jon, Jun 13, 2006

  2. jon

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Maybe, your FTP client software has to be set to passive mode PASV in
    order to connect.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 13, 2006

  3. jon

    why? Guest

    If you are going from a PC to outside your LAN you don't need port
    forwarding. You just run WS_FTP and connect. You may need PASV and
    remember to allow it through (WS_FTP) through any software or hardware
    firewall.

    If you are running your own FTP server and want to allow outside
    connections in then you need port forwarding.

    Instead of either of those, if the FTP server in on the W98/XP laptop
    and you want to connect XP/W98 to it, then allow it via any software
    firewall on those PCs.
    WS_FTP log?

    FTP uses 2 ports tcp and udp.

    ftp-data 20/tcp File Transfer [Default Data]
    ftp-data 20/udp File Transfer [Default Data]
    ftp 21/tcp File Transfer [Control]
    ftp 21/udp File Transfer [Control]

    Looking at old posts in 24HSHD
    you will find
    http://www.portforward.com/

    why?, Jun 13, 2006
  4. jon

    jon Guest

    Thanks I have the ftp software in pasv mode.

    jon, Jun 16, 2006