Help with temporary internet files?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by gita lal, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. gita lal

    gita lal Guest

    Config:
    XP Pro
    2 users, I am admin
    IE 6

    Main drive is c:\
    I have my "dump" drive set to e:\ - this is where I put stuff I've
    downloaded, 'til I get to it later to sort thru it.

    When I click on a file in IE, it is downloaded to some temporary
    location. This is really only noticeable with large files, when I see
    them being moved to my designated directory after the download is
    complete.

    The problem is that the move takes forever, if it's a large file. I
    thought this extra step was unnecessary, so what I did was to go into
    Control Panel > Internet Options and change the settings for the
    Temporary Internet Files location so that they were stored on E:\. I
    thought that was the directory to which files were temporarily
    downloaded. I was wrong. Files are still being stored somewhere and
    being moved to e:\ after the download is complete. Anyone know where
    that "somewhere" is, and if the location can be changed?

    Thanks!
    ..g

    * drop your pants to reply via e-mail ;)

    gita lal, Jul 6, 2003

  2. gita lal

    Phil L. B. Guest

    Location is in a hidden system folder, you need to turn off the hide
    system folders option (Tools\Folder Options), go to C:\Documents and
    Settings\{USER for each user}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files.
    Now good luck in setting the new location.

    Phil L. B., Jul 6, 2003

  3. gita lal

    gita lal Guest

    Thanks for your response, Phil. This was the first thing I tried;
    unfortunately, it didn't work. The files did not download to the new
    location. Explorer is configured to display hidden files/folders.

    gita lal, Jul 8, 2003