Help with some files downloaded from USENET

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by cray, Aug 31, 2007.

  1. cray

    cray Guest

    begin 644 How To Build Your Own Underground Home.pdf

    I have several of what appears to be text files.

    They will open with Notepad and the first line is similar to
    the first line in this msg. That is: begin.....and then a pdf file name
    then lot of gibberish to end of file

    How do I handle these XP OS....a couple are multi megabyte size

    Thanks for any insight.

    Cray

    cray, Aug 31, 2007

  2. cray

    Pennywise Guest

    Back up buddy - this was answered yesterday.

    Pennywise, Aug 31, 2007

  3. cray

    Tester Guest

    You don't want to save the message - you want to save the ATTACHMENT.
    Since your Usenet program, Grabbit, has a banner telling how
    wonderful it is to use with usenet binaries, it MUST have this
    feature.

    Usenet was set up, originally, as a discussion medium, to transmit
    lines of text.

    Eventually, some people decided they also wanted to transmit pictures
    of nekked wimen and warez (pirated software) and other files which
    were NOT lines of text. But usenet messages have to be lines of text.
    So the binary files have to be converted to lines of text and then
    decoded by the downloader.

    Well, how do you do that? Any file is a string of numbers between 0
    and 255. You could convert a file into lines of 3 digit decimal
    numbers.

    005,235,042,142,243,052,...

    This isn't a very efficient way of turning a binary file into lines of
    text. There are at least 4 common ways of doing this, uuencoding, base
    64, yenc and one which is used mostly by Mac heads. Your usenet
    program should be able to decode the messages back into the binary
    file when you tell it to save the ATTACHMENT.

    The example you gave was uuencoded and just about any program can
    handle that system.

    Tester, Aug 31, 2007