Help with setting WEP keys in several devices

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have a BT2100 wireless router/modem. It allows me to set either 13 ASCII
    characters or 26 hex digits for each of 4 WEP 128 keys.

    I have a Netgear MP101 music player which can be set to 128bit WEP key and
    either 26 hex characters or a passphrase. Obvioulsy I set the 26 hex
    characters and it connects to the network OK.

    I now have a WinXP Pro SP2 laptop. When I try to connect to the wirelss
    network it identifies that the network requires a WEP key but only allows one
    key and does not seem to accept 26 characters for the key.

    If I set the router to use 13 character ASCII key and enter the first key in
    the Laptop then it will connect to the network, but now the MP101 won't as it
    is expecting a 26 character hex key. (I tried converting the ASCII key to hex
    and using that but it does not seem to work).

    So it seems I can either the laptop or the MP101 to the network wirelessly
    but not both. Any ideas how I solve this problem?

    Guest, Dec 23, 2005

  2. Guest

    Pavel A. Guest

    Try the Wireless setup wizard of XP.
    At the end, have it print out the key and enter that key into the router
    (since your router does not support config thru USB flash drive)
    --PA

    Pavel A., Dec 24, 2005