help with PanoTools PTViewer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tom, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hello all,

    I am trying to use PanoTools PTViewer java applet to display a virtual
    tour of a room. I can get the applet to function correctly, but it
    looks distorted. The image is formatted to be used in virtual tours,
    but I don't have any information about how the image was taken.

    I have read the documentation at
    http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/PTVJ/doc.html and I tried
    modifying the fov parameters on the applet but it hasn't helped. Can
    anyone help me to get the room looking right?

    The other thing I want to do is make it so the user doesn't have to
    scroll up or down when the applet is loaded.

    page with applet on it:
    http://tjdunn.com/tour/test.html

    the pano image
    http://tjdunn.com/tour/pano.jpg

    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Tom Dunn

    Tom, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Your FOV=80 is pretty wide-angle, that will lead to "unnaturally" curved
    lines. How does it look with say 50, and the min/max values set to maybe
    40-90?

    Terje

    Terje Mathisen, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Your FOV=80 is pretty wide-angle, that will lead to "unnaturally" curved
    I had the fov commented out, so I think it was using defaults. I
    tried out your parameters and it doesn't look much better.

    I created another tour w/ a shot that has a lake in it, the distortion
    is really bad in this one. I figure there has to be some way to
    correct this, I just can't figure it out.

    the original:
    http://tjdunn.com/tour/test.html

    adjusted with the parameters you suggested:
    http://tjdunn.com/tour2/test.html

    tour w/ lake w/ original parameters:
    http://tjdunn.com/tour_lake/test.html

    w/ your suggested parameters: