Help with image size before taking image to printer.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mr. Rather B. Beachen, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. Greetings all:

    I have an Olympus D-40 and a C-50. I use Photoshop 7.0.

    First of all, I've never taken a image straight from the camera to the
    photo shop to get prints. I've always worked on the image before hand
    in Photoshop. Sometimes I crop the image a little bit.

    Here is my question. Is there a setting or certain configuration I can
    do in photoshop that will show me what will be shown/printed if I get
    the image printed in various sizes (5X7, 4X6,8X10, for example)? I
    want to make sure that what I see on screen is what they will make
    prints of-that they will not be cropping the photo. Does this make
    sense? I want to make sure that I am not cropping off too much or that
    the photo shop might crop something out that I wanted in, just because
    my sizing/cropping was incorrect.

    I know many of you must know what to do here so I'm looking for your
    help.

    I thank you in advance.

    It's Mr. Rather B. Beachen to you

    Mr. Rather B. Beachen, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Mr. Rather B. Beachen

    dwight Guest

    I'm still using the ancient PhotoShop 5.0. I click VIEW > PRINT SIZE. This
    only shows me the image on my screen as it would be printed, not variations.

    I would downsize the original image (in my case 23" at 72dpi) to 10",
    increasing resolution accordingly, then check PRINT SIZE. (Viewed at 100%,
    there should be no change in the onscreen image size.) Then downsize to 7",
    again increasing resolution, and check that. Etc...

    dwight

    dwight, Jul 3, 2004

  3. Mr. Rather B. Beachen

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: Mr. Rather B. Beachen
    It sounds like you should crop your photo yourself to the exact aspect ratio
    *before* sending it to the printer, so they won't have to make a choice on what
    to crop out.

    There are two tools in PS 7 that let you do this easily. One is the
    rectangular marquee tool (upper left in the Tool box or type M), then set the
    Feather = 0, change Style to Fixed Aspect Ratio (set it to 5x7 or 8x10 or
    whatever for that print size), then drag the cursor and when you have it right
    do Image > Crop. Best to save the original and make a copy for each print
    size, I think.

    The other way is using the Crop tool, which is similar but different ... read
    up on it in Help. Most people prefer to use this, you can set the ratio and
    the resolution so it will resize for you, but keep a backup copy since you
    don't want to be resizing too much.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 3, 2004
  4. I suggest you crop your image to the exact ratio that will be printed.
    Note: if you are having an 8x10 printed with a ΒΌ" border your final print
    will not be a 0.8:1.0 ratio but rather a 0.789:1.0 ratio

    You may want to do any dodging and burning and contrast adjustments, but
    color and brightness will generally be done by the lab and unless your
    equipment is well calibrated to the same standard they use, you can't adjust
    to their equipment.

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 3, 2004
  5. Mr. Rather B. Beachen

    bagal Guest

    Dear Mr. Rather B. Beachen to you and the world

    I believe that some print machine now cater for the 4:3 ratio of digital
    images thus avoiding the loss of print area.

    In my experience delegating the printable area is to be avoided = find a
    suitable 8x6 digiprinter near you

    das B

    bagal, Jul 3, 2004
  6. Mr. Rather B. Beachen

    Don Stauffer Guest

    While there are ways to display it 'actual size', as long as print size
    is smaller than your monitor screen, this will not give you the same
    quality as a paper print.

    First of all, modern monitors seem to have more dynamic range than paper
    prints. So this makes a monitor display look better than a print as far
    as tonal range. Offsetting this, however, is that monitors do not have
    the resolution of a medium size or large size print. You can print up
    to about 300 pixels per inch with a good printer. On an 8 x 10 print,
    this corresponds to a 3000 x 2400 pixel print. Few monitors can give
    you this kind of resolution. even when you print at 200 ppi, this is a
    2000 x 1600 pixel print. Unless you have a VERY good, very large
    monitor, this is more than your monitor will likely show. Today's
    consumer monitors range from about 1200 to 1600 pixels wide.

    Don Stauffer, Jul 4, 2004
  7. In that case, crop the photo to the correct aspect ratio /before/
    you send it to the printer.

    There are two tools in PhotoShop 7 that will let you do this:

    - The crop tool. Enter the width and height dimensions (in inches) of
    your print size in the tool options bar. This will constrain your
    crop to the correct aspect ratio.

    - The rectangular marquee tool. In the tool options bar, selct "Fixed
    Aspect Ratio" in the Style menu - and enter the aspect ratio (you
    can just use the dimensions in inches). Again, This will constrain
    your selection to the correct aspect ratio. After making the
    selection, do Image->Crop.

    In your print shop is anything like mine, they always crop about 2%
    off /all/ four edges when printing. As a countermeasure, I always leave
    about 2% extra if edge detail is critical.

    Gisle Hannemyr, Jul 5, 2004