    software and we still cant find the problem.

    thanks in advance

    brian

    Brian S., Nov 8, 2004

  2. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sun,
    You may have an application or program that is trying to contact a
    server and it's being blocked by your firewall. My copy of Norton's
    live update kept trying to contact the server about every 5 to 10
    minutes and I had it blocked by my firewall. When it tried to connect
    the hourglass would pop up. Whether or not this piece of software is
    malicious or not, I wouldn't know but I hope this gives you a starting
    point.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Brian S.

    Fred Guest

    Ooh, do you have any neat dreams?

    Fred, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Will you say more about your dreams?

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 8, 2004
  5. Brian S.

    Brian S. Guest

    We opened up the firewall to let everything go and it still does it. Yes, i
    know bad to open the firewall because if it was malicious it would still do
    it. There are 26 processes in the list and they all seem valid. The system
    runs fine and is very stable other than the hour glass comming on. which i
    assumed something is trying to activate or access the internet. although the
    hour glass comes on the had drive is not access.

    anyone else have any other thoughts?

    brian s.

    Brian S., Nov 8, 2004
  6. Brian S.

    WormWood Guest

    FYI, wuauclt.exe is both a pre-fetch and a Windows update file. If this
    affected my computer I would disable either pf or wupd and do my own
    updating at my convenience. Since Windows Update uses a MS website via
    IE, my thoughts are that your hourglass comes on when prefetch opens IE
    prior to Windows checking for the update. Why in hell it does it so
    frequently on your machine is not for me to guess. Give it less
    amphetamines.

    | We opened up the firewall to let everything go and it still does it.
    Yes, i
    | know bad to open the firewall because if it was malicious it would
    still do
    | it. There are 26 processes in the list and they all seem valid. The
    system
    | runs fine and is very stable other than the hour glass comming on.
    which i
    | assumed something is trying to activate or access the internet.
    although the
    | hour glass comes on the had drive is not access.
    |
    | anyone else have any other thoughts?
    |
    | brian s.

    message

    WormWood, Nov 8, 2004
  7. Brian S.

    Fred Guest

    No, I am not delusional.

    Fred, Nov 8, 2004
  8. Brian S.

    WormWood Guest

    | FYI, wuauclt.exe is both a pre-fetch and a Windows update file. If
    this
    | affected my computer I would disable either pf or wupd and do my own
    | updating at my convenience. Since Windows Update uses a MS website via
    | IE, my thoughts are that your hourglass comes on when prefetch opens
    IE
    | prior to Windows checking for the update.

    <big snip>
    There is a discussion here about your same problem. It looks pretty
    good.
    http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?act=ST&f=65&t=23631

    WormWood, Nov 8, 2004
  9. Brian S.

    Brian S. Guest

    thanks i will look into that.... i can't understand why it is accessing it
    so much either. but that is the only thing that changes in the processes
    once the hour glass spins the Wuauclt.exe comes up. that is the only thing i
    can figure. i did turn off his windows updates and it still did it.

    brian s.

    Brian S., Nov 8, 2004