    computer.)

    In the future, make backups--hard drives have the distressing habit of
    not giving any warning before they die.

    Loren Pechtel, Mar 7, 2011

  2. Loren Pechtel

    Paul Guest

    A search term for this is "take ownership".
    There is an example answer here.

    "How do I take ownership of my files and folders from a old harddrive?"

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071229210112AA8aOIB

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 7, 2011

  3. Loren Pechtel

    t Guest

    hi,

    recently my computer quit working so a guy at best buy said i should buy a
    hardrive enclosure thingy and see if i could get some things i want off the
    hardrive using that. it does seem i can access it to some extent, and can see a
    number of files and folders, but some things it doesn't want to show. i kept all
    my stuff in pretty much one folder in an attempt to make it easier, and the
    folder was on the desktop. i could access what says it's the desktop through all
    users but it doesn't show the folder i'm trying to access, nor of course any of
    the many folders contained in it. can anyone tell me why, and how to finally
    access it?

    t, Mar 7, 2011
  4. This isn't a moderated group.

    Loren Pechtel, Mar 10, 2011
  5. Loren Pechtel

    GMAN Guest

    No it isnt, but you have to either be very simple minded or a 16-25 year old
    to always want to speak that way.

    GMAN, Mar 10, 2011
  6. I don't normally use profanity. However, he said "not allowed"--that
    implies there's some source doing the allowing.

    Loren Pechtel, Mar 11, 2011
  7. Loren Pechtel

    GMAN Guest

    True, I was just trying to insult the baggy pants 16-25 crowd LOL!

    GMAN, Mar 11, 2011
  8. Loren Pechtel

    John Doe Guest

    Too true.

    John Doe, Mar 14, 2011
  9. Loren Pechtel

    t Guest

    thank you for the link. it says:

    "What you should do is open up "My computer" on vista. Right click the drive you
    are trying to access (the one in the Dynex enclosure). Click "Sharing and
    Security" - Click Security Tab - Click Advance - Click Owner Tab. Highlight your
    information and check "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" - Click Ok."

    but from "Sharing and Security" there is no Security Tab. clicking the Sharing
    Tab give the options:

    Local sharing and security
    To share this folder with other users of this computer only, drag it
    to the Shared Documents folder.

    and:

    Network sharing and security

    it gives the option of running a Network Setup Wizard or sharing files without
    running the wizard. chosing not to run the wizard brings up a warning that it
    will make the computer vulnerable to the internet and again gives the option of
    using the wizard or just enable file sharing. is that even the stuff i'm looking
    for, or do i need to find that Security Tab?

    t, Mar 15, 2011
  10. Loren Pechtel

    Paul Guest

    This page is a little slow to render, but it includes pictures.

    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/guides-how-tos/1008-how-share-root-drive-under-vista.html

    Right click drive, do "Properties".

    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/8462dc0c13ba3c.jpg

    A smaller dialog should appear, with the traditional "Pie Chart" graphic.

    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/8462dc0c13ce51.jpg

    There is a security tab at the top. Give that a try.

    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/imagehosting/8462dc0c13e251.jpg

    It's Microsoft. It's meant to be hard to find. That's the nature
    of "innovation in GUIs".

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 15, 2011
  11. Loren Pechtel

    Paul Guest

    It's possible we're talking about different things.

    The information in the above links, should be giving
    you local access to the files. That means, you plug in a
    USB enclosure hard drive into your current computer, you
    "Take Ownership" and then all the files should be
    accessible on that computer.

    Enabling sharing, so users on *other* computers on your
    home LAN can use the hard drive, is a separate issue. There
    may well be a "Share this folder on the network", but the
    intention of such a setting, is to allow another computer,
    far distant from the local computer with its connected USB
    hard drive, to gain access.

    If you do the Take Ownership thing, then the idea is, you
    get basic access to the files. I would verify all my files
    are still there, before becoming more ambitious.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 15, 2011
  12. Loren Pechtel

    t Guest

    thank you again! there was no security tab, so i went back and did what i had
    done before and finally got to the check boxes: Share this folder on the network
    and: Allow network users to change my files, checked both of them and hit okay.
    the computer acted like it was doing stuff for a few seconds. so i went to My
    Computer and opened that hard drive, opened Windows, then explorer, then the
    desktop. but it didn't open the desktop of the drive in the encloser that i'm
    trying to open, it opened the one on the computer i'm trying to open it with. so
    now what???

    t, Mar 15, 2011
  13. Loren Pechtel

    Kele Guest

    Here's a "Take Ownership to your context menu" program for Vista - I think
    you're on Vista, right?
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/112795-context-menu-take-ownership.html
    If that's not your OS, Google "take ownership context menu"; there's lots.
    I use in Win7 - works!

    I don't think that's your problem... Folder on the desktop is probably what
    started the problem... desktops aren't a good place to store files. I was
    thinking along the lines of viewing your old hard drive with "Show hidden
    folders" activated. That would be an easy first test. You are trying to
    find your folder/files via the Windows Explorer... How about other views,
    ie: My Computer/Dive letter. Have you tried all these?

    If you see something that appears to be your desired stuff; right click copy
    the whole thing, paste to your current computer and try open/view from
    there... Try doing a search on the old drive for a file name you remember...
    does it find anything? If so, check that found item's path and get to the
    folder that way. I'd even try using another program to view files, like
    WinRAR... Not that I want to pack files, but WinRAR shows many files that
    aren't visible in Windows Explorer. Whatchu figa?

    Excuse, I didn't read good all the prior threads this topic... in case your
    already covered all this.

    Kele, Mar 16, 2011
  14. Loren Pechtel

    GMAN Guest

    This is of course for the original poster, look instead for the desktop folder
    under the profile name you had been using, not the one called ALL USERS .

    GMAN, Mar 25, 2011