Help with desktop icons in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by adamrichards66, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. Hiya,

    Our big flashy hotshot IT administrator is in a bit of a pickle and
    has asked me to get an answer to this problem.... He's dead
    embarrassed that he can't remember how to sort it out himself - we
    shouldn't laugh at him though, I'm at a loss myself as to how to deal
    with it....

    We are a schools IT dept and have dozens of computers with Windows
    XP, most networked from a central server, with some 200+ users, all
    with individual logins/passwords. He says that when people log on
    using their password, they are just getting a blank desktop with none
    of the usual WinXP icons (e.g. My Documents; My Computer, Recycle Bin,
    etc.) and he wants to know how to get these icons to display. It seems
    our Superman knows there's a way of doing it but he's just forgotten.
    Aww, bless!

    Oh, and he also says if I can get this sorted out for him before the
    weekend he'll buy me a slap-up pub lunch every day next week.
    Hopefully.

    Cheers,
    Adam

    adamrichards66, Oct 2, 2003

  2. adamrichards66

    °Mike° Guest

    What's the name of the pub? :)

    See if any of these can help:

    Adding My Computer, Internet Explorer, Network Places,
    and My Documents to the Desktop
    http://www.stfx.ca/tsg/ConnectionDocs/Extras/#Icons

    No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows

    Windows XP Problems if Your Profile Is Damaged

    HOW TO Restore the Operating System to a Previous State

    °Mike°, Oct 2, 2003