Help with corrupted jpeg files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rb608, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. rb608

    rb608 Guest

    I think I'm hosed; but any optimism you folks can give me would be
    appreciated.

    Here are the specifics. I'm using an Olympus Stylus 300 with an Olympus xD
    Picture Card, 128 MB. I took a lot of photos, and came home to transfer
    them to my hard drive. To do this, I have a SanDisk card reader device
    (ImageMate xD/SM, model SDDR-95).

    My USB connection for this card reader is sometimes unreliable. I
    occasionally get an error message (in Windows XP) to the effect that I have
    a "high-speed USB device plugged into a low-speed port". It's a pain in the
    butt, but has been mostly an annoyance until now.

    In the process of transferring the photos mentioned above, I got that error
    message, and the card reader lost communication with the PC. Upon
    re-establishing the connection, I found that several jpeg images were no
    longer accessible "File or directory is missing or corrupted". Nuts.

    I'd chalk it all up to bad luck, except that one of these images is
    irreplaceable & I would really really really like to recover it.

    Does anyone have a recommendation on how best to proceed?

    TIA,
    Joe F.

    rb608, Jun 3, 2004

  2. rb608

    Marius Guest

    Marius, Jun 3, 2004

  3. rb608

    rb608 Guest

    Thanks. I'll give them a try.

    Joe F.

    rb608, Jun 4, 2004
  4. rb608

    rb608 Guest

    Woo Hoo! It worked!

    FWIW, I tried the one from Convar first, and it recovered every deleted file
    and every corrupted file, most notably the one file I really wanted.

    Since the first one worked so well, I didn't try the other two. The second
    one you suggested was on an all-German site & I couldn't figure out which
    file was which anyway. I downloaded the third, but didn't need to install
    it.

    Thanks a lot (and I mean a lot).

    Joe F.

    rb608, Jun 4, 2004