help with computer lockups/freezes

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Stephen Tomchuk, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. System:
    Soltek SL-75DRV5 MB
    AMD TBird 900 MB
    512 MB PC2700 RAM
    80 GB Maxtor HDD 2 MB cache
    ATI RADEON 7000 32 MB
    Sound Blaster 5.1 Live!
    Realtek NIC
    Standard 2 button mouse
    ACER 52x CD-ROM
    LG 52x 32x 52x burner
    300W ATX power supply LC-A300ATX (AMD approved so the label says)
    Win 2000 Pro (had same probs while running Win98SE so "upgraded" to W2K)

    Symptoms:

    The occasional lockups (intermittent but can be 5 to 6 times per day or
    1 in a couple days) occur while using IE 6, playing a SIMS game, while
    the comp is booting to desktop, never locks up before W2K starts, no
    blue screens either.

    Initially this unit had a Nvidia based 32 MB graphics card in it but it
    was swapped out to attempt fixing lockups.

    initially this unit locked up such that no keyboard or mouse action
    worked. The screen display just froze. Now after swapping out video card
    to ATI Radeon the screen display still freezes and keyboard/mouse action
    freezes but the audio (if there is any, say while playing a SIMS game)
    stutters at the same spot (continual skipping). Only a reset button will
    bring the system back to life.

    Tried:
    1 changed from Nvidia based 32 MB graphics card to Radeon
    2 disabled onboard sound and added SB Live card.
    3 checked system settings and no highlighted problems noted
    4 haven't tried swapping out p/s or MB/CPU
    5 checked all cooling fans and case panels have been removed

    Before I pull out the rest of may already scarce hair or put a sledge to
    this MB can anyone offer any hints or other ideas to try.

    TIA,

    Steve

    Stephen Tomchuk, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Stephen Tomchuk

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Check the voltages of the PS. Check the temperature of the CPU (could be
    that the HSF has come loose). Check the memory using a DOS based program,
    search google for some free ones. Try booting into a DOS 6.2 startup disk
    and letting it sit there for a few hours. If it locks up still, you have a
    definitive hardware problem.

    Also, did you install 9x, have problems, and then "upgrade" over 9x to
    2000? If so, you should try wiping the drive entirely and installing 2000
    fresh, as if you upgrade a buggy installation you usually get a buggy
    installation as the end result.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Stephen Tomchuk

    Rockman59 Guest

    had same probs while running Win98SE so "upgraded" to W2K)
    You might want to upgrade again to XP...I have had it for over a year now
    and NEVER have had a freeze, crash, or any problems.....I had used '95,
    '98, and '98SE and they all had problems of one type or another.

    Rockman59, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Done, look ok at least for the short time I monitored the individual p/s
    voltages
    No loose heatsink.Heatsink is cool to the touch, haven't yet reinstalled the
    CPU monitor software but will check that as well.
    I'll try that, just gotta find that boot disk, been awhile since I req'd that
    puppy.
    Did a full format and reinstall as I had hoped that wiping and starting fresh
    would take care of the problem. Must be somewhere else.

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    Stephen Tomchuk, Jan 28, 2004
  5. Might try this yet.

    Thanks

    Stephen Tomchuk, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Stephen Tomchuk

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    If 9x is unstable, it's one thing. If 2000 is unstable, I would wager
    upgrading to XP would do nothing, as XP and 2000 have the same underlying
    codebase (similar to the way that 98, 98SE, and ME all have the same base
    underneath).

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Stephen Tomchuk

    Trent© Guest

    Are you running 6?...or 6 SP1?

    Do you have all the automatic CPU-hogging functions turned off in
    Advanced?...automatic IE updates, etc.

    Also, see if you get the same lockup while yer disconnected from the
    Net. You'll get error messages, of course. But, if IE (or some other
    rogue program) is trying to connect somewhere, they won't be able
    to...and this should free up yer CPU cycles.

    You've done a trojan/virus check, of course...and an AdAware check.
    Are you saying it freezes while the computer is BOOTING? If so, check
    your BIOS settings for conflicts.
    Did you check your Event Viewer?
    Have you check for mb chipset updates, video updates, audio, etc.

    Also, check in Task Manager to see what processes are running. Check
    also in msconfig. Maybe something will look unusual to you.
    Are you running Acrobat? What version?
    When does it freeze?...only when you use IE? Did you go into
    Add/Remove...and try to rebuild it? Have you gotten all the latest
    w2k service packs?...and updates? Have you cleaned out your temp.
    Internet files?
    Are you using MS Media Player?
    Double check your BIOS settings. Make sure caching is turned on
    whenever possible.

    Good luck, Steve...let us know.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!

    Trent©, Jan 28, 2004