Help with a protected file in Win7 pls.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Feb 13, 2013.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I play Diablo3 and there are often patches that seem to take forever to roll
    out. Of course the US gets updated first and, for previous patches I'd make
    a small change (instructions for which I found on Blizzard's own forums) to
    the 'agent.db' file, setting the update path to
    'http://US.patch.battle.net:1119/patch' rather than
    'http://SG.patch.battle.net:1119/patch'. (Also it's required to delete
    folder in ProgramData, which is re-built when the patch is downloaded
    anyway.) I then change the US back to SG after getting the patch and
    everything's hunky-dory.

    However, as I'm stuck with an error updating today, the first time for a
    while (which Blizzard are aware of and say just wait...) I went to change my
    patch download path again and now W7 tells me that "Access to xxxxx was
    denied" and won't allow the change. There have been mini-patches that have
    been fine in the last months - one of those changed 'rights' to that file?

    Is there anyway that I can 'take ownership' of that file (or any other
    method....) so I can change it?

    Thanks geeks ;) , I'm getting frustrated by this. W7 is great in a lot of
    ways but not having total ownership of my computer (and having it given to a
    3rd party!) isn't one of them.

    TIA,
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Feb 13, 2013

  2. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-nz/sysinternals/bb897556

    Dave Doe, Feb 13, 2013

  3. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    Turn off UAC, reboot, right click the file, security, advanced, owner,
    change... follow your nose.

    EMB, Feb 13, 2013

  4. This sort of thing is why I do not install games on my Win7 c drive.
    UAC is a lot more anal about "program files" and "program files(x86)"
    than it is about other drives. Makes sense.

    Given that that's where your files are, I'd try two things

    first: run the patch as administrator
    if that doesn't work
    try to run it in safe mode
    last resort
    turn UAC off for patching

    I wanted to add to my hosts file the other day in order to tar-pit some
    advertising hosts, and had to do that in safe mode also. I can see the
    reason why, but it's a darn sight user-un-friendly.

    Peter Huebner, Feb 13, 2013
  5. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    I have no idea why you had to do that - I edit the hosts file on Win7
    machines very regularly. Sure, it requires elevation, but it has never
    required safe mode or UAC tweaks.

    EMB, Feb 13, 2013
  6. Does for me. Win 7 ultimate 64bit. I've made sure I have ownership,
    edited file properties, yaddada yaddada, still can't write to it from
    inside Win7.

    I reboot to WinXP if I want to edit it. Cumbersome, but it works.

    It is remotely possible that Avast has another lock on that file, but I
    am fairly sure I could also not access it with Avast turned off
    temporarily. (won't swear to that though - been a while since I hit that
    particular wall for the first time).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Feb 14, 2013
  7. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Feb 14, 2013
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thank to everyone who replied, the patch finally came through fine. I've
    saved advice from this thread for future reference.

    Much appreciated.

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2013
  9. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    There we go, another satisfied customer people.

    Gordon, Feb 16, 2013