Help!: What sort of virus/trojan/exploit survives a full reinstall of winxp?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by entropy123, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. entropy123

    entropy123 Guest

    Hi all,

    The symptoms: When connected to the internet my desktop runs at 100%
    cpu usage and 100% network usage. There are no idications of which
    process is actually using 100% CPU. Whatever is wrong with my desktop
    is now wrong with my laptop - they both run winxp and are connected to
    the same router. If I disconnect the router from the cable modem both
    computers continue to run at 100%/100% - disconnect the network cables
    - or disable the connection - and the problem goes away.

    Right now I am writing this on my wife's mac - it is also connected to
    router but works just fine. There is no burner/storage device attached
    to this mac so I cannot get the latest spybot/adaware/norton updates.
    My norton is 3 days old and the adaware/spybot are over a month old -
    don't detect anything.

    My first attempt was to completely reformat the desktop; give it a
    clean slate. However, after reformat the 100%/100% problem continues.
    (Laptop was not on and not connected to network). What kind of computer
    virus/trojan/exploit survives a fresh reinstall of the OS?
    Any advice appreciated,
    ent

    entropy123, Dec 29, 2004

  2. entropy123

    why? Guest

    It's either system idle or several together totaling 100%. Check the
    Process List , tick the show processes from all users.
    XP Home? Service Pack?
    It only takes a second or less to pick something up, if there isn't even
    some basic protection.

    Which router? Most have some blocking / firewall so it should usually be
    safe enough , just long enough to d/l some updates spyware apps.
    Does the process list change?

    Is that a steady 100/100 and the system is unusable?

    Unless you boot from a clean CD / floppy from power off you can't get a
    uninfected startup. If you simply boot the PC and reformat / reinstall
    what ever it maybe is already in memory / MBR. Did you run a zero fill,
    to actually wipe the disk first?
    You are going to have to do things the hard way. Since you just
    reformatted doing it again isn't an issue. Disconnect any other
    computers so only 1 is on.

    OS / SP / Firewall is the minimum you want to start with. Connect to
    network just to d/l your AV/Spyware apps. Disconnect. Install AV/Spyware
    do a full check of the system. If it's clean, burn a CD with FW/AV/SW.

    Also have a look at creating a slipstreamed XP/SP installation for
    later, it's faster to do the OS/SP in one go.
    Me

    why?, Dec 29, 2004

  3. entropy123

    entropy123 Guest

    Hi all,

    Thanks for all the advice. After another 4 hrs or so of work it seems
    as if all the issues were resolved. This morning the 100% cpu/network
    usage issue went away. Neither computer was able to connect to the
    internet though. So I reinstalled all the drivers for the network
    adaptors and reset the router.

    These actions basically restored my laptop to normal operating conditon
    without the need for a full reinstall. In hindsight, the issue was most
    likely with the router; something happened to disrupt its useful
    functioning.

    Thanks again,
    ent

    entropy123, Dec 29, 2004
  4. entropy123

    gigajosh Guest

    zzzzzzzzz....

    Sorry, could you stop yawning please, you're disturbing my sleep..

    gigajosh, Dec 31, 2004
  5. entropy123

    Mara Guest

    <snip>

    Free tip: Why don't you stop making an utter fool of yourself, and stop
    responding to the troll?

    "JHC, you're as bad as it is."

    Mara, Dec 31, 2004
  6. entropy123

    Grandpa Guest

    Filter him! I did!

    Grandpa, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Grandpa, <>, the bizarre, slurred truck driver, and
    strange glassblower who fills dead cows’ bowels with molten glass ready
    blowing, castigated:
    Filter who?????

    Rodney Malloy, Jan 3, 2005
  8. entropy123

    gigajosh Guest

    Sorry, as bad as what exactly?...
    Oh, happy new year by the way.
    And.. I'm not making a fool of myself thanks.

    gigajosh, Jan 13, 2005