HELP-VPN, remote desktop + Dlink router

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Jeff, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    My network card has an IP of 192.168.0.1, My Dlink DI-604
    router has an IP of 192.168.0.4. The gateway and Dns
    point to the router 192.168.0.4. I can get on to the
    internet with these settings. I am running XP PRO and my
    buddy is running XP HOME. I set up the VPN server on my
    end (XP PRO) and my buddy has the client (XP HOME).
    We both created host names for ourselves on no-ip.com.
    We refresh our DNS and my buddy can connect to my system
    over the internet via VPN + remote desktop without the
    router. He can browse my drive and print to my printer.
    When my router is in place, my buddy can connect with VPN
    but can't connect with remote desktop. I've got the
    latest firmware update for the router and tried the ports
    that Dlink promotes on their support site. I have my
    buddy point to the WAN IP of the router when coming in
    with remote desktop. The virtual server points to my
    network card 192.168.0.1. My buddy can connect with VPN
    through my router but can not connect with remote desktop.
    Any suggestions?

    Jeff, Feb 16, 2004

  2. Make sure you are allowing TCP port 3389 traffic on the router for Remote
    Desktop.

    --

    Thanks,
    Marc Reynolds

    Marc Reynolds [MSFT], Feb 16, 2004

  3. Jeff

    Guest Guest

    Yes, we tried that. It was posted on Dlink's site.

    Guest, Feb 16, 2004
  4. Jeff

    scthrower Guest

    I am setup using port 3389 and I still cannot access the pc behind th
    di-604. Using VNC I have no problem.
    Any Ideas

    scthrowe

    scthrower, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Jeff

    Jesse PH Guest

    check connectivity first. be sure you can ping both the router and the pc
    behind the router. make sure you set the remote desktop on the remote pc and
    set the right permission.

    Jesse Ph

    Jesse PH, Mar 5, 2004
  6. Jeff

    Hotwheels

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Remote Desktop

    Please be sure that the remote computer is using a different subnet. For example, if your host computer is on 192.168.0.1 than the remote computer needs to be on a different network, such as 192.168.1.1.

    Hotwheels, Oct 30, 2008