Help using a router plus a wired WAP

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Aug 31, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi

    I have a working home network that works perfectly but I am considering
    expanding it further and am asking for advice. Probably just asking for
    trouble but here goes.

    Present setup:
    - All the computers are Windows XP.
    - internet access is from Cox hi speed cable via their cable modem that next
    connects to my G wireless router to create the present home wlan.
    (Unfortunately this router is at one corner of the house so that the wlan is
    weak in some parts of the home).
    - using a 5E cable passing through the attic, the router is connected to one
    of the home PCs in a more central part of the house. So this PC (#2)
    connects - not wirelessly - but by direct connection to the router.

    Thinking of doing:
    - I happen to own another G router that can be setup to work as a WAP.
    - I would like to place this "WAP" in the room of PC #2 in such a manner
    that the cable from the main router now connects to this "WAP" (instead of
    the PC #2).
    - Since the "WAP" is in the same room as PC #2, I could connect this PC #2
    directly to one of the WAP ports. (would that work?)
    - The new "WAP" (really a router) would now broadcast its signal to the
    rooms which presently have a week signal.

    Questions:
    1. Will that work? Any advice?
    2. Is there such a thing as a cable splitter for 5E cable so that the attic
    5E cable could be split to connect on one branch directly to the PC and on
    the other branch to the WAP. Is that a good idea or does splitting weaken
    the signal?

    Thank you.

    Jeff

    Guest, Aug 31, 2008

  2. Hi
    Yeah it would work, and it is a very good idea.
    This page explains how-to.
    Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Both the cable that comes from the main Router and the PC2 should be plugged
    to regular ports (WAN port should be left open) on the second Wireless
    Router.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 1, 2008

  3. Guest