    just wipe the old OS off this partition then install new OS to it?

    Regards,
    Snuffy

    Mark Patterson, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Mark Patterson

    Rob K Guest

    Mark Patterson wrote:
    Yes you can but a full clean install will in most cases save you a lot
    of trouble. And as for your other question : utilities such as PM are
    used to create and manage partitions. "Restricting" an OS to a
    partition is another matter.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256070&Product=win2000

    Rob K, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Yes, but I think you'll find the consensus is that a clean install from
    98x to 2k is a better idea.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Mark Patterson

    Sultan Guest

    Mark Patterson wrote in
    Snuffy, you can certainly but as another poster already said it really is
    better to do a clean install and make sure to format the drive as ntfs.
    You can find Partition Magic on eBay cheap, I am using version 7 with my
    Windows 2000 pc which I upgraded from 98.
    For partitions it is best to have one set up for your OS, another for your
    application and a third to store your data. It makes backing up your data
    much easier. I'd give 6GB for Windows, and the other two really depend on
    what you plan on installing and how much disk space you have to work with.
    An idea is you can use Partition magic first to make the two new
    partitions, move your data and then install 2000 clean. More work sure but
    in the long run your way better off than carrying over a bunch of problems.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Feb 4, 2004