    Does a Dual Core processor marked at 2.4GHz mean 2 x 2.4GHz OR 2 x
    1.2Ghz???

    Thanks for help.

    dimon, Nov 9, 2006

  2. dimon

    Brian Guest

    It means total speed, and fairly useless unless you have software to take
    advantage of the dual processor.
    Not much does at the moment so you are better sticking to a normal
    processor. It is faster!

    Brian, Nov 9, 2006

  3. dimon

    dimon Guest

    It is for a server, so it would take advandage of separate cores.
    Thanks for your reply.

    dimon, Nov 10, 2006
  4. dimon

    Fred Guest

    It is not just a matter of processor speed.
    The Core architecture introduces a number of technologies that make the core
    duo processors faster than those based on the older netburst architecture.
    Even the slowest core processors perform on par with the fastest of the
    netburst type in most situations.
    To oversimplify the situation let's just say that core features a shorter
    and wider pipeline, resulting in more things being done per clock cycle.
    Also a lot of effort has been put into ensuring that the pipeline remains
    full.
    For a thorough explanation of the differences please visit.
    http://www.behardware.com/articles/623-1/intel-core-2-duo-test.html

    Fred, Nov 10, 2006
  5. dimon

    dimon Guest

    Thank you for the reply and an interesting artice, however it applies
    to Intel cores and not to AMD cores.

    dimon, Nov 10, 2006