Help, Trying to install Win3.1 on a 72yr old mans computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chill Factor, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. Chill Factor

    Chill Factor Guest

    Hi,

    If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

    PLEASE ! ONLY SERIOUS RESPONSES ONLY.

    I have a dear friend who has this OLD IBM model 70, 386 Personal Computer,
    does not have the money or desire for a new computer, just wants his working again.
    Some young kids wiped it out completely for him, and now the computer wont boot up
    to anything. I dont know the first thing about Windows 3.1.
    I think I have the seven install floppys for it but i dont know any of the keys or commands
    to install from floppy. I can get it to a screen where it has several options at the bottom
    but cannot get it to an A:> prompt to get it to read from the floppy. Almost as if its in
    another program or something.

    Thanks In Advance

    CF

    Chill Factor, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Chill Factor

    Rifleman Guest

    Try booting from the first disk.

    Rifleman, Jan 9, 2004

  3. Chill Factor

    John Holmes Guest

    Chill Factor came up with this:
    You will need to install MS-DOS first to run Win3.X

    John Holmes, Jan 9, 2004
  4. Chill Factor

    Yddap Guest

    In
    Sounds correct
    :)
    Yddap

    Yddap, Jan 9, 2004
  5. It was on Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:34:49 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
    IIRC, the seven disks are: 3 x MS-DOS 6.22, & 4 x Windows 3.1
    You may need to install DOS 6.22 first & then Windows 3.1, depending upon
    what's been wiped. This site may be of help:-
    http://www.logicalsky.com/Windows31_FAQ.htm

    This site tells you how to run Win 3.1 setup
    http://www.computerhope.com/win3x.htm
    HTH.

    William Poaster, Jan 9, 2004
  6. Yep. Well, any DOS really (PC, MS, DR, FreeDOS, etc).

    Michael J. Apollyon, Jan 9, 2004
  7. Chill Factor

    John Holmes Guest

    Michael J. Apollyon came up with this:
    Yep, that's true.
    I stand corrected
    :)

    John Holmes, Jan 9, 2004
  8. Chill Factor

    Chill Factor Guest

    The thing is, ti does not boot up to any kind of a prompt.
    The only thing that i can do is press the F1 and it takes me to another screen
    where i do not have any kind of a prompt, just a blinking cursor and some
    options at the bottom of the screen. But nowhere can i get to an a:> prompt
    or a c:/windows> or anything.
    I do have 7 floppies here that are labeled Windows 3.1 Installation,
    but the computer will not boot up to it either.

    CF

    Chill Factor, Jan 9, 2004
  9. Whoa a whopping 16Mhz.
    Try Knoppix on it.
    I don't think it will still work with windows "y2k"

    The linux boys claim it will run on just about anything so try Lindows on
    it.

    Trai'

    Trai' La Trash, Jan 9, 2004
  10. $10 says the bios battery is green and exploded the thing is so old.

    Trai' La Trash, Jan 9, 2004
  11. Chill Factor

    Rifleman Guest

    Rifleman, Jan 9, 2004
  12. Chill Factor

    Chill Factor Guest

    Chill Factor, Jan 9, 2004
  13. It was on Fri, 09 Jan 2004 18:55:22 +0000, just as I was halfway through a

    William Poaster, Jan 9, 2004
  14. Chill Factor

    John Holmes Guest

    Chill Factor came up with this:
    Just out of curiousity, what are those "some options at the bottom of the
    screen" exactly?

    John Holmes, Jan 9, 2004
  15. Chill Factor

    Chill Factor Guest

    Look guys,

    I really wasnt out to get anything started here. I only came in here for
    some help. Im offering an apology here, whether you take it or not
    is up to you.

    Im still working on this dinosaur for a man that was like a father to me
    when i was a kid. If you can help me out GREAT! If you cannot thats fine
    too.

    Thanks .. CF

    Chill Factor, Jan 9, 2004
  16. Chill Factor

    Ben Myers Guest

    Start the computer with a DOS 5.0 or 6.22 boot floppy, then
    insert Disk 1 and type "a:\setup".

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jan 9, 2004
  17. Chill Factor

    Chill Factor Guest

    Where can I get this? I have been to several places, even downloaded the setup.exe for DOS
    but it doesnt creat the bootup floppy. This is for a system that you can boot up to. Its self-extracting
    but i cannot get it to any command prompt at all to even access the floppy.

    CF

    Chill Factor, Jan 9, 2004
  18. Bebop & Rocksteady, Jan 10, 2004
  19. Chill Factor