Help - trouble with Digital IR with Canon 10D and 87 filter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Yancey, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. Yancey

    Yancey Guest

    Greetings

    Has anyone tried and been successful making IR digital photos with the Canon
    10D? I have been reading about using digital cameras to make IR photos and
    have been trying to duplicate the process, but I am not having any luck. For
    those interested, here is a site where the individual has obviously figured
    out the process. http://home.twcny.rr.com/scho/newpics/landscapes.html

    Here's what I have tried. Using Canon 10D, Lee 87 Infra Red filter and large
    range of exposures and ISO settings. The best I have been able to do is a
    very weak exposure which when I have tried to pull out with Photoshop yields
    nothing acceptable. Most are totally black. However, there are a couple
    occasionally that have potential but still a long way from pleasing.
    Wondering if perhaps I have too much filter for the sensor? My elementary
    test to see if the sensor could see the IR was to photograph my TV remote
    while depressing a button. It captured the IR from it.

    There are a few "tutorials" which describe the how to of digital IR photos.
    It is not supposed to be this hard. Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    Bill

    Yancey, Jul 18, 2004

  2. Yancey

    Crownfield Guest

    make sure that the exposure
    is not being altered by light leaking through the viewfinder.
    cover it during exposure.

    Crownfield, Jul 18, 2004

  3. Hmm the T90 has this viewfinder light seepage blocker lever

    I am sure a trawl will be along in a minute with a dedicated IR suite that
    only costs half the price of the camera LOL

    Have you tried tweaking the red channel in your digital image processing
    software?

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Yancey

    E. Magnuson Guest

    Different digital cameras have different IR sensitivity. Both CCD and
    CMOS sensors are normally very sensitive to near IR, but most cameras
    have an internal (non-removeable) IR-cut filter. For the 10D, this
    filter cuts just about everything so IR is almost impossible.
    However, it's possible to (permanently) remove this filter, see
    http://www.irdigital.net/

    You may want to use an older digicam. In addition to very good IR
    sensitivity, you can actually preview/frame the scene the using the
    LCD! http://dpfwiw.com/ir.htm

    Of the DSLRS, the two best for IR are are the SD10 (with the dust
    filter removed) and the D100. See
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1014&message=8263597

    (For D70 results see
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=8722682)
    IIRC, these were made with a Nikon 990.
    My own samples with the Oly 2020Z (including some stiched IR
    panoramas) can be found at http://www.pbase.com/maderik/ir. Unless you
    really need big prints, a used 990 or 2020 can be a lot of fun for a
    little money.

    E. Magnuson, Jul 19, 2004
  5. Yancey

    wok Guest

    Bill

    I have a 10d and have been getting very good results with the 87
    wratten filter and also the rm90 glass filter. Exposure time is the
    key factor, take the times out a long long way and see what you get I
    try to shoot at 16 or 22 with daylight exposures of 25 seconds or more
    with an ISO of 800 the result is a version of infra red not quite as
    organic looking as film,but still the trees go white and the sky goes
    black as night but watch out for the severe red cast left by the
    filter,will need some work in photoshop.

    wok, Jul 28, 2004