    my old monitor or keyboard settings or any other programs on my new computer
    yet as I saved money by not buying new ones. Any ideas? TIA
    Roddy

    Rodrian Roadeye, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Rodrian Roadeye

    EricP Guest

    Download an Image program like Acronis True Image. Make an image and
    put that on the new drive.

    EricP, Dec 10, 2004

  3. Rodrian Roadeye

    Toolman Tim Guest

    |I bought a new computer WITH XP installed. My old computer HAS XP also.
    What
    | is the easiest way to transfer files without creating an XP boot up disk
    as
    | the transfer Wizard directs you to for the new computer? I do not even
    have
    | my old monitor or keyboard settings or any other programs on my new
    computer
    | yet as I saved money by not buying new ones. Any ideas? TIA
    | Roddy

    Win XP has a "File and settings Transfer Wizard." I'd be working that route
    for what you want to do.

    Do you have network interface cards in both computers? If so, it's not too
    hard. Network the two...difficult when you don't have the
    keyboard/mouse/monitor on both - you'll have to do some equipment swapping
    whil the systems are running, unless you want to spring for a KVM switch
    (allows two computers on one monitor/keyboard/mouse). You'd also need a CAT5
    crossover cable.

    Another (and possibly easier) method, still using the wizard, is to have the
    OLD computer all set up and running. Run the wizard, storing all the data
    the wizard collects into a file on the hard drive. Then, move the
    monitor/mouse/keyboard to the other computer, put the drive from the old
    computer in the new computer, and run the wizard, telling it to get the data
    from the file you created in the old computer.

    Obviously, I've left out a lot of "details", but if you wish further
    clarification, just ask.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 11, 2004
  4. Rodrian Roadeye

    Lookout Guest

    Why not install the old HD into the new computer?

    Lookout, Dec 11, 2004
  5. Rodrian Roadeye

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:15:20 -0800, "Toolman Tim"

    | >What
    | >| is the easiest way to transfer files without creating an XP boot up
    disk
    | >as
    | >| the transfer Wizard directs you to for the new computer? I do not even
    | >have
    | >| my old monitor or keyboard settings or any other programs on my new
    | >computer
    | >| yet as I saved money by not buying new ones. Any ideas? TIA
    | >| Roddy
    | >|

    | >Win XP has a "File and settings Transfer Wizard." I'd be working that
    route
    | >for what you want to do.
    | >
    | >Do you have network interface cards in both computers? If so, it's not
    too
    | >hard. Network the two...difficult when you don't have the
    | >keyboard/mouse/monitor on both - you'll have to do some equipment
    swapping
    | >whil the systems are running, unless you want to spring for a KVM switch
    | >(allows two computers on one monitor/keyboard/mouse). You'd also need a
    CAT5
    | >crossover cable.
    | >
    | >Another (and possibly easier) method, still using the wizard, is to have
    the
    | >OLD computer all set up and running. Run the wizard, storing all the data
    | >the wizard collects into a file on the hard drive. Then, move the
    | >monitor/mouse/keyboard to the other computer, put the drive from the old
    | >computer in the new computer, and run the wizard, telling it to get the
    data
    | >from the file you created in the old computer.
    | >
    | >Obviously, I've left out a lot of "details", but if you wish further
    | >clarification, just ask.
    | >
    | Why not install the old HD into the new computer?

    I *believe* that's what I said above...and using the file and settings
    transfer wizard gets the email, account settings, address book, everything
    /automatically/ without a user mucking around looking for everything,
    possibly missing something important, then having to do it all over again.

    Sure, I've done the manual transfer HD to HD (like when the old HD's OS was
    bust), but the FASTWIZ does it much more effectively.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 11, 2004