    mozilla 1.5 crashes attempting to access the java applets. If I
    remove the .so, then I get a popup telling me I need a plugin.

    Can anyone provide additional ideas on what might be missing?

    lvirden, Nov 27, 2003

  2. lvirden

    Keith Bowes Guest

    Don't copy. Create a symbolic link.

    Keith Bowes, Nov 27, 2003

  3. HI,

    Yes look a bit up on comp.unix.solaris under "mozilla 1.5" subject!

    I think you need to get mozilla 1.2.1 first and get that plugin, the
    latest java 1.4.2 is missing the plugin for some reason, but check the
    thread up, then let us know the outcome.

    Try Opera 7.23 works very very snappy, get it at www.opera.com it takes
    a day or two top get used to Opera from Mozilla then you are quite happy
    I promise you :))

    I use Mozilla for mail now and Opera for browsing due to speed and function.

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Nov 27, 2003
  4. HI,
    !! why is that the reason?

    And then do you know why there is no java plugin in java 1.4.2 ?

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Nov 27, 2003
  5. lvirden

    Juergen Keil Guest

    Probably some clever trick to derive the java home directory from
    the symbolic link target.
    Huh?

    % ls -l /usr/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/sparc/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 root other 229228 Jun 20 04:08
    /usr/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/sparc/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so

    % ls -l /usr/j2sdk1.4.2_02/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 root other 212856 Sep 17 04:01
    /usr/j2sdk1.4.2_02/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so

    Juergen Keil, Nov 27, 2003
  6. lvirden

    Juergen Keil Guest

    Check the download site, and try to find out which compiler was used to
    compile mozilla 1.5. (Sun's compiler, or GCC ?)

    Install a symbolic link(!!) libjavaplugin_oji.so in the
    $MOZILLA_HOME/plugins directory.

    The link target depends on the compiler that was used to compile
    mozilla.

    If Sun CC was used to compile mozilla, the link target is:

    $JAVA_HOME/jre/plugin/`uname -p`/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    (the "ns610" java plugin shared library is compiled with Sun CC)

    If gcc 2.95.x was used to compile mozilla, the link target is:

    $JAVA_HOME/jre/plugin/`uname -p`/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    (the "ns600" java plugin shared library is gcc 2.95 compiled,
    note that the "ns600" subdirectory is missing in the latest
    j2sdk 1.4.2)

    That's the typical crash that you'll get when you mix code
    produced by different C++ compilers for mozilla <-> plugin.

    Juergen Keil, Nov 27, 2003
  7. Hi,
    Yoy have the sdk, why in 1.4.1 jre was enough?

    In j2re1.4.2_01 there is nothing.

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Nov 27, 2003
  8. lvirden

    Phil Brown Guest

    have you verified that you actually have java enabled in your preferences?
    sometimes, it's the silly things that get you :)

    Phil Brown, Dec 21, 2003