[help] Site looks erratic in IE but fine in firefox!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nocturnal, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. nocturnal

    nocturnal Guest

    Hi,

    I need urgent help.
    the url is http://www.iitk.ac.in/apsec06

    you can see a strange white strip in IE which is absent in firefox. I
    have been trying (unsuccessfully, ofcourse) to track down the cause.
    Please help me.

    Can somebody suggest a site which lists the differences that can occur
    while rendering in IE and firefox.

    Please, its urgent,

    thanx in advance
    cheers
    Mridul

    nocturnal, Jan 18, 2006

  2. nocturnal

    nocturnal Guest

    nocturnal, Jan 18, 2006

  3. nocturnal

    vespetrol Guest

    The white strip you mention is only visible if the text on the page is
    highlighted, otherwise, it looks fine. (To me anyway.)

    vespetrol, Jan 18, 2006
  4. nocturnal

    Whiskers Guest

    Rather than that, perhaps you could try to get the page coded correctly
    according to accepted standards so that any standards-compliant browser
    can display it the way you intend.

    <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.cse.iitk.ac.in/apsec06/>

    For what it's worth, the page looks fine in Opera - despite the errors in
    the code.

    Whiskers, Jan 18, 2006
  5. Where is this white strip? This page looks nearly identical to me, in
    Firefox 1.0.7, IE6, and Opera 8.51.

    Due to the inconsistencies among browsers (especially the old, broken
    IE6), pages will always vary slightly. Think about this: how many of
    your real visitors will use *multiple* browsers to view your site?
    It always helps to correct errors:
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.cse.iitk.ac.in/apsec06/>
    Fix everything (except perhaps the missing Alt errors) and see what
    happens. In your links, you use ampersands; these should be replaced
    with the entity: &amp;
    It also appears you may have improperly nested tables. (it is bad form
    to use tables for layout; tables are for .. tabular data.)

    There are thousands of pages on "differences".
    Google: differences between Internet Explorer and Firefox
    Results 1 - 10 of about 3,170,000
    Heh. Post in alt.html

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 18, 2006
  6. nocturnal

    why? Guest

    Not in IE 6.0 SP1, Opera 8.02, FF 1.5, Mozilla 1.7.12 or IE 6 SP1 32bit
    and 64bit

    However IE/Opera understand the styles on the scroll bars. I want the
    scroll bar to be the color I choose for my system settings, not what
    color you think I want.
    As mentioned fix the errors.
    Search www.google.com , lots of web design sites have tables of
    differences in browsers.

    I don't know what these are like, but they appear in posts in the
    groups below and Google searches.
    http://www.alistapart.com
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html
    http://members.aol.com/browsercompare/
    http://htmlfixit.com/?p=713
    http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html
    http://www.webstandards.org/
    http://www.richinstyle.com/

    Check your newsserver for groups like, check the existing posts first.

    alt.html
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets
    comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.misc
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design
    comp.infosystems.www.browsers.misc
    comp.infosystems.www.browsers.ms-windows

    You can also reach most if not all of these via Google groups.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.html?
    just put the groupname between group/ and ?
    Me

    why?, Jan 18, 2006