Help setting up wireless LAN to cable modem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by LurfysMa, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. LurfysMa

    LurfysMa Guest

    I want to bring cable (Comcast) broadband service into my home office.
    The cable company says pulling the cable will be a problem. That got
    me thinking about wireless.

    Is it possible to have them install the cable wherever then get a
    wireless router to provide service to the whole house?

    Will such a setup be as fast as being hard wired to the cable for
    internet access?

    Can it also serve as a wireless LAN?

    Will it be as fast as the cat5 LAN we have now? I think it's 100/10 or
    10/100 or something like that?

    Can anyone suggest good hardware? I don't want the cheapest. This is
    for a small business. I am willing to pay more for reliability and
    speed.

    We have two computers -- one laptop and one workstation.

    From what I've read, I just need (a) a wireless router, (b) a PCI
    wireless card for the workstation, and (c) a wireless PCMCIA card for
    the laptop. Anything else?

    I may get a new laptop, so the wireless will be built in, right?

    I am assuming I want to get 802.11g, right?

    Any other considerations?

    Thanks

    LurfysMa, Nov 1, 2005

  2. LurfysMa

    Duane Arnold Guest

    There is no problem for you.
    It's not as fast as a 100 wire mip connection but it's ok.
    You can have wire and wireless *together* with the router.
    It will work.
    I don't know about using wireless in a business situation. I myself
    wouldn't do it but others do. The Linksys 54G router and change to
    firmware ont the box to one of the 3rd party firmware so you can use
    Wallwatcher. You can use Google to find out about Wallwatcher and it's
    (free).
    That should do it and you should get all of it from the same manufacture
    so there will not be any finger pointing.
    Most of them have that option.
    That, WPA and wireless MAC filtering and you may want keep one machine
    with an always wire connection to the router as wireless can be touchy at
    times
    the basics
    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 2, 2005

  3. LurfysMa

    brutus Guest

    I just did the same thing. I had Comcast "hard wired" but moved my home
    office and couldn't easily get cable there. I used a NetGear WG311 v2 PCI
    card and a WGR614 Wireless Router. I hooked the cable to the Comcast Modem
    in my garage, connected it to the wireless router, put the card in my PC and
    tried to set it up using the CD supplied. Then I realized that the router
    needs to be hard wired to the PCI card and modem to be set up. Once I did
    that it was a snap. I get 54mb connection. I set up WEP for higher
    security. It is great.

    Dave

    brutus, Nov 2, 2005
  4. Yes. Cable goes to cable modem and you can either have the wireless router
    connected to your computer or the cable modem if it has networking ports.
    No. The machines wired are faster.
    Well, depends entirely on location. I have found the D-Link G604T which is a
    wireless router to be excellent. It also does ADSL which you dont need.
    However, Netgear stuff isnt bad usually. The other thing that you want to
    consider is where things are located. If you want wireless to other
    computers and the computers wirelessly connected are a fair distance apart
    in your home with lots of electrical interference, then a wireless card
    inside your desktop computer or even a wireless PCMCIA card for a laptop is
    less than ideal. You are better off getting D-Link external USB (USB1 and 2)
    wireless NICs because the NIC can be placed in better reception spots. Also,
    the same NIC can be put into a desktop and a laptop then moved over to a Mac
    as well.
    As above. What you say is correct but think in terms of "radio reception"
    for the wireless gear and have a good look how the two computers are placed.
    Not necessarily. With Centrino, the power used is large and so is that of
    more modern CPUs. You cannot get Centrino and a 3.0Ghz laptop to work well
    on batteries which is why Centrino laptops use lower speed CPUs. When Sonoma
    comes out, that problem is gone but for the moment if you are getting
    another laptop soon, I would say to forget about getting native wireless and
    just go for the higher CPU then use a wireless external USB NIC as I have
    detailed above. I use one on my older laptop (new in 2002) and also on this
    desktop which does wired and wireless for 3 computers to the router. Never a
    problem.
    Speed of connection is dependant upon many factors but the major one missed
    by most is just reception.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Nov 2, 2005
  5. LurfysMa

    Guest Guest

    Dear Diamontina:

    I built an ASUS A8V-E desktop computer which has a wireless LAN. I have a
    Dell Laptop w/a Centrino processor. I am trying to setup the Laptop with my
    wireless from the Desktop and it keeps asking me for my Network Key (WPA or
    WEP number). How do I find that number?

    Thanks so much for any info...don't know much about networking.

    Guest, Dec 10, 2005
  6. LurfysMa

    Malke Guest

    When you set up the wireless router, you applied some kind of security,
    WEP or the better WPA. At that point you created an encryption key. So
    enter your router's configuration utility and look at the wireless
    settings. Most routers are configured by putting their IP address into
    a browser's addressbar. For example, to work with a Linksys router you
    would enter http://192.168.1.1. Refer to your own router's manual for
    details.

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Malke