Help Setting Up Home LAN Network

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by esieens, Aug 25, 2006.

  1. esieens

    esieens Guest

    Hello All,

    I am trying right now to setup my LAN network at home.

    Here is my setup:

    Hardware:-
    INTERNET ---> WAN || Zyxel P660R || LAN ---> WAN || DGL-4300 ||
    LAN ---> Home Computer

    How should I setup my Zyxel (Modem/Router) and DGL-4300 (WLAN Router)
    in terms of IP ranges? Should they be on diffferent IP ranges? Am I
    right to connect the P660R to the WAN entry of the WLAN router?

    I have a web server so i need to be able to forward traffic from my ISP
    IP to a specifc server on my LAN, i.e. passing through the P660R and
    the DGL-4300.

    Basically i would like to us the P660R as a modem only - all the
    traffic being passed directly to my WLAN router for proper routing.

    Hope it makes sense.

    Thanks.

    esieens, Aug 25, 2006

  2. esieens

    why? Guest

    From a Plato post of 23 Aug 2006
    Networking - General
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
    http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category04

    Networking - NT/XP Specific
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/
    http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/winxpnetworking/
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/default.mspx
    2 routers, is the start of your problem.

    It's assumed the DGL-4300 is there -
    a) to confuse you
    b) confuse everyone else
    c) no good reason
    d) to make any answer harder
    e) wireless
    Don't know that kit, but SOHO routers don't usually have very clever
    bits. Generally if you connect 2 routers (IP range A and IP range B)
    together you, as the most simple method run a routing protocol. So each
    router says my network A/B is here and you go out this interface to
    reach A/B.

    If you simply are adding wireless to an existing router, you would get
    something like a wireless access point and plug it in. a WAP gets a DHCP
    IP address from the Zyxel as a PC would. It's simply a wireless
    extension to the Zyxel. A wireless PC then gets it's settings passed
    through from the Zyxel. This means all devices are on the same IP range,
    no problems.

    With a 2nd router, change it from a router to a WAP it should be
    possible. Read the manual.

    The problem with a 2nd router is the Zyxel might be 192.168.0.x and the
    DGL 192.168.2.x. This will work, I had a Netgear and a Belkin setup as
    your diagram. IIRC Everything on the DGL (Belkin) could connect to the
    Internet and each other, they couldn't connect PCs on the Zyxel (Netg).

    Which for me was fine.
    Yes
    Internet -> WAN P660R.
    LAN port on P660R -> WAN DGL.
    So connect the webserver to a port on the P660R. If it doesn't have more
    than 1 port, buy a 4 port switch.

    P660R LAN -> Switch (uplink port usually auto detects or crossover
    cable)
    Switch(1) -> Server
    Switch(2) -> DGL

    Remember to set the server to use a static IP address.

    Check www.portforward.com
    Why pass through both? See a b c d above.
    If you know what proper routing is why the question?
    Not really.
    Me

    why?, Aug 25, 2006

  3. esieens

    Flyer Guest

    it would be simpler to let The Zyxel handle all routing, connect the
    Wireless router LAN to Zyxel LAN, turn OFF the dhcp server in the Wireless
    router, thereby just using is an access point..Wireless PC's will then get
    their IP addresses from the Zyxel via the Wireless router.

    P.

    Flyer, Aug 25, 2006
  4. esieens

    esieens Guest

    Thanks All for your responses.

    The thing is that I was hoping to be able to do the opposite of the
    last suggestion, ie.e. use my Zyxel as a gateway and the wireless
    router as the DHCP/router.

    Would that be possible?

    esieens, Aug 25, 2006
  5. esieens

    Flyer Guest

    the wireless DHCP will serve it's own address as the default gateway to the
    pc's on the lan, so unless you can turn of the routing function in the
    Zyxel, ie put it in "bridge" mode, you'd have to setup differing subnets for
    each router, it can be done, just don't see the need to complicate matters
    ;-)

    P.

    Flyer, Aug 25, 2006
  6. esieens

    why? Guest

    Depends on feature set of the routers. You would need to set the P660R
    into bridge mode most likely, then enable a routing protocol like RIP
    (guessing these don't do anything really fancy) and enable RIP in the
    DGL so it knows about the P660R. Then disable DHCP any other things you
    don't need like NAT , single user.

    You could try providing links to the download manuals for the routers.

    Me

    why?, Aug 25, 2006
  7. esieens

    esieens Guest

    Why...

    Basically because first i just wanted a simple solution and bought the
    DGL-4300 but found out that it does not support PPPoA so then I bought
    the P660R-61C a simple router one LAN port to get my ISP connection and
    just wanted to use it as a adsl modem. I thought I would have just to
    plug it to the WAN port of my DGL-4300 et voila! Guess i got that
    wrong! ;)

    The DGL-4300 offers some functionality such as Mac Address control that
    the zyxel I believe does not offer and that's why i would rather have
    my DHCP server on the DGL.

    Manuals:
    Zyxel:
    http://us.zyxel.com/web/download/20...041115_3-40-P660R-6xC_UG_V3-40_2004-11-15.pdf
    DGL:
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dgl4300/Manual/DGL-4300_manual_06292005.zip

    Once again many thanks for all your help.

    esieens, Aug 25, 2006
  8. esieens

    Flyer Guest

    MAC addressing can easily be spoofed by any half decent hacker, do not rely
    on it for security. A good WPA key is much better. I had a similar setup to
    what you're thinking of, with a wireless router used as a WAP, and I could
    still use MAC filtering to restrict access to the network. DHCP was served
    by a different router.

    P.

    Flyer, Aug 26, 2006
  9. esieens

    esieens Guest

    Sorry I meant DHCP reservation , i.e. being able to set a specific IP
    for a specific MAC address. The DGL-4300 can do it but I don't think
    the Zyxel can.

    esieens, Aug 26, 2006
  10. esieens

    why? Guest

    Please quote some of the message you refer to, otherwise you appear to
    be talking to yourself out of context.

    Me

    why?, Aug 26, 2006
  11. esieens

    why? Guest

    Guessing the 660R isn't PPPoA so you didn't got for simply replace the
    DGL. Oh well.
    MAC address control isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm
    If the Zyxel isn't wireless, then it won't it's more of a wireless
    router thing.
    Nothing to really do with DHCP, the MAC control it limiting what devices
    are allowed to connect.
    Manuals just finished downloading, it might be better get a more
    suitable PPPoA / Wireless router in 1. Will save you time and hassle.

    Me

    why?, Aug 26, 2006
  12. esieens

    why? Guest

    Not for the wireless connections?
    As you say, the DGL can using the Static DHCP client.

    The simple thing I did was set the DHCP range down to about 10. Then
    when I need a server to have a static IP I manually assigned an address
    starting from 192.168.0.50, allows for some expansion of the DHCP range
    if required. Never had to configure static IP clients on any router, the
    virtual server still needs detup to forward traffic, but it worked fine.

    I think I said this, you need to set the P660R to single user mode, no
    NAT, RIP to let the routers know about each other.

    If you tell the P666R to be something like 192.168.1.x and the DGL is
    192.168.2.x then RIP will know how to get packets between the 2
    networks. The DGL can then be the DHCP server for .2.x network.

    The best way to sort any issue like this is, draw out all the kit,
    addresses / settings on each in/out link. You will see what values you
    need to set for servers / routing.

    The last time I did any of this was at work (last month) on Cisco kit
    all that needed was a static route on the 2 routers to point to each
    other. At home the Cisco only needed - ip cef enabled :)

    The other fun you can have of course, is forget DHCP on the routers, put
    in a Linux PC run DHCP server and you can set reservations per MAC
    addresses very easily. Windows (servers) will do the same, it's less
    expensive not using Windows.

    Me

    why?, Aug 26, 2006