HELP! SA guy needs security help Win98se

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JohnF, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    I have an operator on our system that thinks he is a computer genius
    and is constantly trashing his computer and half the other ones on the
    system. Unfortunately he is the owner so I can't tell him to leave
    things alone. I'm FAR from being a knowledgeable systems admin but I
    knew where the switches were to turn on the computers so....here I am.

    Question;
    Is there some way in Win98se I can block him from access to the hard
    drive? He is always downloading porn from the internet then going in
    and trying to erase it and screwing up everything in the process. We
    only have 7 computers on the network and I don't have trouble with
    anyone else even those that use Kazaa and Emule all the time. He has
    the newest and fastest computer in the system, only about 3 months old
    and right now I'm in the process of reformatting the HD and reloading
    everything because I can't recover from his last "attack". I reloaded
    Win98 and got most of the software working but each time I get one to
    work the next one is a major problem. At least he didn't take anyone
    else with him..... this time.

    Thanks

    A frustrated IT guy.

    JohnF, Dec 24, 2003

  2. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    As I think about it he may have gotten into regedit. I may need to be
    able to block that too.

    JohnF, Dec 24, 2003

  3. JohnF

    why? Guest

    <snip>

    No enough security, needs an NT class OS like 2000/XP Pro etc.
    Get a copy of Norton Ghost/Supported CDR(W) drive/Pack of CDRs

    Build the PC to spec, boot from a ghost boot floppy, image the PC (all
    office PCs for safety Ghost works across network as well check license
    it's cheap enough 1 copy each PC) to CDR.
    When the PC is too messed up to use. Image back from the CDR even 8 GB
    from CD takes IIRC not more than 15 minutes.

    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    NOTE - This relies on any working / live / important data having a
    backup somewhere. You could image the PC as is, call this *COPYB*, put
    the original clean image back on then extract data from the COPYB CDs
    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    As the office is networked, what sort of connection / router. Several
    small SOHO routers have site filtering.

    Then there is get a PC as a server, connect it to the Internet
    connection, with a package like Symantec Web Security. Quite a few
    oprions like this have a look around.

    Me

    why?, Dec 24, 2003
  4. JohnF

    Graham Guest

    I dont think there is :( You need to upgrade to Windows 2000 / XP and get
    some NTFS action going.

    Graham, Dec 24, 2003
  5. JohnF

    M Mullen Guest

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:06:38 GMT, (JohnF) wrote:

    |> Question;
    |> Is there some way in Win98se I can block him from access to the hard
    |> drive? He is always downloading porn from the internet then going in
    |> and trying to erase it and screwing up everything in the process.

    I've used Redhand before and it should be what your looking for, fake error
    messages, restricted areas, programs,. and it's hidden from sight one will never
    know.

    I've used RedHand420d on 98se worked very well. I see that they have grown.
    http://www.redhandsecurity.com/ and up to version 8. If version 8 is overkill
    for you, email me and I'll send 420d your way (little under 3megs).

    M Mullen, Dec 24, 2003
  6. JohnF

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    I'm guessing that the old roll a newspaper up, smack his nose and say
    "NO!" doesn't work. :)

    Check out X-Teq Setup. It has the ability to set certain things (such
    as regedit or drives) as unavailable or off-limits. However, anyone
    with a brain is going to figure out a way to circumvent this; Win98SE
    isn't known for being particularly easy to secure. The other replies
    about upgrading to an NTFS-based OS (NT, 2K, XP) is about the only
    good method of securing the system.

    Personally, however, I'd go to the guy and show him 1) what he's
    doing, 2) how much hassle it is to fix, and 3) it would be appropriate
    for him to pay you more since you're having to clean up after him as
    well as doing your normal job.
    Even to this day I don't understand the appeal of porn (on the net or
    off).

    [ Doc Jeff ], Dec 25, 2003