Help reinstall OS - EMachine

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DaveW, Aug 16, 2003.

  1. DaveW

    DaveW Guest

    Another "long-distance" repair with a not much better than 404 user.
    Emachine, vintage unknown other than OEM OS is Windoze98.
    Trying to clean install 98 from the original Emachine disks.
    Located format on the restore/recover disk..... just before I was ready to
    pull another hand full of hair... ;-)
    One of the other 2 disks found, (are there more?) seems to be the 98 disk
    but is evidently unbootable.
    How many disks are there suppose to be, and what are the procedures for
    installing the OS and other OEM pre-loaded software back on the drive?
    Emachine site is no help, and asking what the contents of the disks are
    would be.... well you know what it feels like when dealing with tech support
    don't you? ;-) hmmmm.... maybe this is the kind of stuff tech support
    has to deal with... I guess if they actually knew anything I'd feel sorry
    for them. ROTFIL sorry

    Please help... got to get this going so I can finish getting their other
    'always on internet connected' (XP) computer cleaned up and hardened.
    Couple weeks ago had them scan and repair/delete over 200 infected files
    from a multitude of virus/worms.
    They promised to limit their use, and turn off their computer when not in
    use until security measures are in place, up to date, and functional.

    DaveW, Aug 16, 2003

  2. DaveW

    docmill Guest

    Can you deal with DOS? If so, have a friend make a startup disk with cd
    support and go from there. If not .................poor boy. Can help
    Will Help No Help Yes you can

    docmill, Aug 16, 2003

  3. DaveW

    DaveW Guest

    That too is a problem.
    The floppy drive is not working, and because the computer had been sent to a
    friend to be "fixed" the problem could be anything.
    BIOS is ok and cables are in place, but friend had been inside case so who
    knows. Will see if I can walk thru checking proper orientation of cable and
    correct connector this evening..

    DaveW, Aug 16, 2003
  4. DaveW

    Patrick Guest

    Set the CDrom to boot first (allready so/yes)
    Put first disc in (the one that seems to be bootable) in drive, reboot.
    What I would expect to happen now is that (after POST and 'eMachine'
    splash-screen) you will be presented with two options; 'Partial restore' and
    'Full restore'
    I imagine that if things are as I describe you'll be pretty well on your way
    ('Full restore' perhaps best because it will do 'fdisk', 'format' and
    anything else it likes according to 'eMachine's whims).

    Anyway above was the scenario I had on a 'Toshiba'.
    I suspect that the second disc you have is to do with an option to install
    Win95 instead of Win98

    Sorry if I have misunderstood your question too grossly, but I had to
    explain things as I understood you.

    Best wishes Patrick

    Patrick, Aug 17, 2003
  5. DaveW

    DaveW Guest

    We did come up with something similar...
    He said there are only 2 options were "restore with format" and restore with
    no format".
    We did the restore with format the other day and after the format all it
    does is reboot to the same options.
    The other disks are not bootable and I don't know if there is any install or
    setup or such on the other disks that may be executable if I boot from the
    restore disk.
    Will try to have him look tomorrow.
    Did manage to get more info on the computer.
    E-Tower 400id... Florida-TG mama.
    Heck... he could buy another stinking Celeron 400 computer for what the LD
    charges are going to be.... ;-)

    Thanks.

    DaveW, Aug 17, 2003