Help - problem with last automatic update

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Mar 13, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    few days ago the microsoft automatic update center downloaded to my computer
    the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 2005 (KB890830).

    Since then I have experienced problems with my wireless network connection.
    The signal has disappeared and when I press the repair, or connect button I
    do not get any result.

    If I use the utility software provided with my network card everything works
    fine but if I try to us Windows' it does not work. My network is on the list
    of the available wireless networks but cannot connect.

    Sometimes I get an error saying that the network has failed to provide a
    valid IP.

    The same thing has happened with the laptop of my wife, that is connected to
    the same network.

    Anyone knows what the problem is?

    Guest, Mar 13, 2005

  2. Guest

    Malke Guest

    Unless both you and your wife's machines are infected, it is unlikely
    that the MSRT did anything. It runs and if it doesn't find the target
    infectors for which it was created it leaves. It doesn't install itself
    or make any changes. It is more likely that you got a Windows Update
    for a network driver and you took it, not knowing that installing
    drivers from Windows Update is not a good idea. Try either rolling back
    your network adapter drivers or, if that doesn't work, updating the
    drivers from the card mftr.'s website. As far as using the card mftr.'s
    connectivity software, that's fine and your experience is normal - you
    have to choose which method you want to use, Windows or the network
    card utility; you can't use both.

    Of course, you must have current antivirus installed using updated
    definitions. Virus and/or malware infections can definitely cause
    problems with network connectivity.

    Malke

    Malke, Mar 13, 2005