    Can anybody help, please?
    THANKS!
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Carlos

    Duane Arnold Guest

    http://v2.tlab404.com/articles/detail.asp?iFaq=317&iType=20

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Carlos

    John Guest

    No sign of a firewall in your message -- don't you have a firewall,
    like Zone Alarm or Outpost?

    John, Jun 13, 2004
  4. is windows messenger running???
    Run the following program and see if it helps
    http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

    HTH

    Gareth

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Jun 13, 2004
  5. Carlos

    just ask Guest

    just ask, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Carlos

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    Learn to quote.

    -= Hawk =-, Jun 13, 2004
  7. Carlos

    Paul - xxx Guest

    just ask posted:
    Just a small point or two ..

    When replying, why address your points to one person, yet reply to another ?

    Why not leave some of the text you're replying to, just to make it a tad
    clearer for others to read, especially those who've asked the original
    questions. Many people who post questions here are having problems, while
    your post is good-intentioned, it is likely to confuse as much as help.

    Paul - xxx, Jun 13, 2004
  8. Carlos

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Jun 13, 2004
  9. Carlos

    Boomer Guest

    I doubt if she ever will.

    Boomer, Jun 13, 2004
  10. Carlos

    BEAU Guest

    Get your free copy of "Popupstopper!

    BEAU, Jun 13, 2004
  11. Carlos

    Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop15.htm#3

    And, often it helps if you post the OS you are using. Please see the
    FAQ.

    Plato, Jun 13, 2004
  12. Carlos

    °Mike° Guest

    This is an unmoderated group that has *no* charter and *no* FAQ.

    This is an unmoderated group that has *no* charter and *no* FAQ.

    °Mike°, Jun 13, 2004
  13. Carlos

    °Mike° Guest

    Oi, moron, who suddenly made you the moderator and
    keep of a FAQ for this group? Give it a rest, you imbecile.

    °Mike°, Jun 13, 2004
  14. Carlos

    ProfGene Guest

    There is a free program called pop-up stopper that works pretty well and you
    should also empty your temporary internet files and cookies when you are
    through being online as well as running programs like Spybot frequently.

    ProfGene, Jun 13, 2004
  15. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Thanks for the link, Duane, I tried it, it was already stopped and I
    still get the messages, they were not comming over the weekend, tonight
    they started again.
    And to reply to John's question, ye4s, I have firewall through my
    wireless router.
    HELP!
    Thanks
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 14, 2004
  16. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    I will try to reply to all you guys that offered solutions, I know you
    are all well intentioned but so far my problem has not been solved.
    These are the measures I have taken:
    1- I have the popup stopper bar from Google on my IExplorer.
    2 - I have run Spyboat, Adaware, Spyshreder, Spyblaster, and others as
    suggested by *Mike*, thanks.
    3 - Messenger was already stopped.
    4 - I have run NOD32 antivirus plus a free on-line scan.
    5 - I have a double firewall, NAT+SPI in my Netgear wireless router.
    Everything that has been suggested so far, I have done and the popups
    keep coming.
    The title usually says, (the name of the popup like "Screen savers") and
    Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    I will try disconnecting the PC from the cable modem and see if they
    still popup, so far they do even when IExplorer is not open.
    Thanks you for all the suggestions!
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 14, 2004
  17. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    One more thing I forgot:
    6 - I have deleted all cookies, Files and off line files SEVERAL TIMES.,
    just in case.
    Thanks
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 14, 2004
  18. Carlos

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 05:06:57 GMT, in
    <>
    Carlos scrawled:

    You should have your firewall block NETBIOS ports (137-139),
    since these are the ports that the messenger service uses.

    To prevent Windows Messenger Service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
    Advertisement Appears

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
    Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Shoot The Messenger
    http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

    °Mike°, Jun 14, 2004
  19. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Thanks *Mike* for your reply but I have Messenger Disabled and I even
    went to "remove windows components" and removed it but the windows that
    pops up are not Messenger windows but "Microsoft Internet Explorer"
    windows, even when Explorer is not open and they popup on top of
    whatever I'm doing, emailing, Usenet, typing, graphics etc. and they
    halt my applications until I close the popup window. HELP!!!
    Also, I do not know how to Block ports 137-139 since the firewall is
    part of the Netgear router and I don't see an option to stop individual
    ports.
    I have Fire Alarm that I had shut down because it was slowing my system,
    I will try installing that again and see what happens.
    I forgot to mention that I'm using Windows XP Pro.
    One of the popups offering screen savers, if I click on it it takes me
    to this:
    http://www.screensavers.com/index.html?SS_ID=205_0_22587_1&source=popaddynamix&aff_id=548
    look at the source, popaddynamix&aff, whatever that is.
    DAMMMMMMIT!
    Thanks!
    Carlos.

    Carlos, Jun 14, 2004
  20. Carlos

    °Mike° Guest

    Install HijackThis and post the contents of your
    log here.

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/