    the only new thing i have installed is ICQ but i have gone back to an earlier restore point to overcome that problem with no success
    thx 4 reading this prob ......
    Cover_Collector

    cover_collector, Sep 5, 2003

  2. right click your desktop and select properties\Web\
    & take any tick out of: "view my active desktop as a WebPage"

    (just in case you put a tick in it or someone else did !)

    because if you have also got the option selected to:
    hide my Desktop Icons when viewed as a webPage

    selected else where, then all your Icons will disappear !!!

    (Im on Windows98 myself)
    so it maybe a different path to your options ?
    Mines titled: Display Properties

    If it turns out to be that simple you'll be laughing soon.

    If not I wish you luck...