HELP Pleeease!!.Strong Wireless signal but can't get to internet

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Rebecca, May 14, 2007.

  1. Rebecca

    Rebecca Guest

    I recently moved and am now having issues with my wireless network. I have
    Verizon DSL Modem. with a Dlink DI624 Router. At my old house it worked
    fine.

    I have 5.8Ghz cordless phones with the base "station" using the inline
    filter "dongle"

    I have 4 PC's connected, 1 via ethernet to the router the other 3 have
    wireless cards accessing . The ethernet connection can connect to the
    internet the 2 wireless have excellent signal strength but connect
    intermittently to the internet (sometimes works sometimes not??) Sometimes
    all show excellent signal but none connect to (ethernet and
    wireless).......... unless I unplug the router.....unplug the modem ...wait
    10/20 secs then plug back in.....disable the adpters on the PC's and then
    re-enable and then can connect to internet but seems unpredictably then it
    wont conect...but still has excellent signal!!??

    I've seen a lot of posts on the web but can't seem to find a definitive way
    to fix my proble. Can anyone help me?? Obviously I'm no expert but if i get
    some straight forward direction mybe i can fix this craziness!

    Thanks for any help.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Fairway
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Control
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-92-3A-CB-AF
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 14, 2007 8:42:08 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 21, 2007 8:42:08 PM

    Rebecca, May 14, 2007

  2. Rebecca

    Barb Bowman Guest

    is your DLink router running the latest firmware?
    did you change the SSID from the default name to something unique?
    are there other wireless networks in range?
    what kind of wireless security are you using?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, May 14, 2007

  3. Rebecca

    ato_zee Guest

    Static IP addressing is worth a try, it fixed my problems.
    It's quite simple, just one box to untick or tick to change
    from "Let Windows manage my connection" to static
    addressing.
    ipconfig /all from the wired, more reliable, PC will give
    the numbers you need.
    Each PC needs the same gateway address, subnet mask,
    DNS server address, all that changes is that each PC
    needs a unique IP address.
    Google for
    static ip xp
    to get more info.
    It's worth doing ipconfig /all on each PC, then you can
    compare.

    ato_zee, May 14, 2007
  4. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 14, 2007
  5. Rebecca

    Rebecca Guest

    I have ip addresses for all of the machines....but what would the DNS server
    address be?

    Rebecca, May 15, 2007
  6. Rebecca

    Rebecca Guest

    Hi..
    Powersave is off on all.
    Hmm...well I'm looking for consistency more than speed now...i am only
    selecting my SSID but I have connected another unsecure wireless signal i
    could see while i was waiting for verizn to turn my DSL on and it seemed to
    work ok (I should say that i connected for brief periods to check my mail
    then disabled so i am not sure how consistent it was but i think it was ok)
    I am not using the WZC i am using the D-Link utility

    I also should note that last night all were working but when i returned home
    none were ablt get to internet though again signal was good. I had to poer
    off router, powere of modem, wait 2o secs or so, power on modem then the
    router then everyting worked again...so far.

    Not sure why resetting the modem/router works or why i have to do it but it
    works but it is a real pain in the....a__!
    Thanks for the reply.

    Rebecca, May 15, 2007