    Any ideas gratefully appreciated,
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jan 27, 2008

  2. Martin²

    Ivor Jones Guest

    : : While I have been using VoIP for couple of years, but
    : : this one has me stumped.
    : : I have acquired a Senao WiFi VoIP phone, which works
    : : fine,
    : : except when calling "sipgate to sipgate" I don't hear
    : : the called person (or Ivor's clock).
    : : Ringing 10000 says all is set up correctly ! ? ?
    : :
    : : The settings available on the phone are as follows:
    : : Proxy Server: on/off Sipgate.co.uk port 5060
    : : Outbound proxy: same as above
    : : Stun Client IP: on/off stun.sipgate.net port 3478
    : :
    : : Any ideas gratefully appreciated,
    : : Regards,
    : : Martin

    Sipgate uses stun port 10000 not 3478. Although 1-way audio is usually a
    NAT problem.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 27, 2008

  3. Martin²

    Brian A Guest

    To enlarge on Ivor's comment re NAT: What this implies is that you
    should forward certain ports in your router setup. The ports to be
    forwarded can depend on the provider(s) you are using. Strangely I
    have found that whereas virtually all providers would work with
    certain ports forwarded, occasioanlly an additional port needs to be
    forwarded. So your next question is what ports need to be forwarded?

    To cover most eventualities, forward the ports listed to the IP of
    your phone/ATA.

    5060 - 5065
    8000-26000

    Brian A, Jan 27, 2008
  4. Martin²

    TheFug Guest

    Brian A schreef:
    So this would mean, he can't use his phone on open hot spots ? since he
    has no control over them....

    TheFug, Jan 27, 2008
  5. Martin²

    Martin² Guest

    Thanks to Ivor, Brian & Fug.

    Yes, I am well aware of forwarding ports and know which ones, but I did not
    want to do it because:
    1. I have VoIP router, (would it stop the built VoIP ports working ?).
    2. You can't do that on friends or public routers.
    3. Trying to avoid problem 1. I switched to BT1801HG router, which has NO
    port forwarding.

    However, after changing the stun port to 1000 and further experimentation I
    found the answer:
    Turn OFF the Outbound Proxy !
    Now I am very pleased with my little Senao and at £50 inc. postage is quite
    a bargain.
    Looking for some public WiFi...
    Thanks, regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jan 28, 2008
  6. Martin²

    Brian A Guest

    I think you already know the answer to that question as it is
    implicit. If someone else has control of a system you can't be sure of
    anything. Many people do find that they can use their phones on open
    hotspots but there are bound to be places where SIP won't work,
    especially if a telco is has a vested interest in blocking such
    activity.

    Brian A, Jan 28, 2008
  7. Martin²

    TheFug Guest

    Brian A schreef:
    Aah, i've learned something more/new, i guess.... what you are saying
    is, that if the "hotspot" has a provider, that's offering an ADSL and
    telecom package, i can't use that "spot" with my voip enabled WiFi PDA
    +voip, or WiFi Voip-phone ..? :( and VPN is also out of the question i
    guess...

    TheFug, Jan 31, 2008
  8. Martin²

    Brian A Guest

    I am not saying this is a generalised rule, just that some telcos may
    try the blocking game if they see that they may be losing revenue.
    Personally I think that it should be illegal to do this. Of course it
    is rather like DRM on music. Music companies say they are losing 'x'
    amount of revenue but they don't take into account that many people
    just wouldn't buy at their prices anyway - same with the telcos I
    would think. I think that the blocking takes place mainly in countries
    that block VoIP anyway. It would be useful to know if any UK provider
    did this.

    Brian A, Feb 1, 2008