    It will not allow me to start up even in safe mode
    Could anyone please give me any help/advice

    thanks

    Allan, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Allan

    °Mike° Guest

    Check that all cables are connected correctly, and
    fit snuggly.

    Enter the CMOS setup and make sure that the drives are
    detected correctly in the BIOS -- set to autodetect.

    Whilst in the BIOS, load the failsafe default setup, save
    and exit.

    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2004

  3. Allan

    Allan Guest

    I have tried that; when it starts up it says it has detected the HDDs so the
    cables must be fitted correctly. I have also checked in CMOS and that
    confirms H|DDs. Have also loaded failsafe etc, but it keeps saying when
    trying to boot up, it has not detected IDE drives 0/1/2/3.
    This board also has SATA, I am not intending to use at the present; just
    wondered whether I have to set someting for that?

    Allan, Jul 8, 2004
  4. Allan

    °Mike° Guest

    Not so -- check them; the floppy cable could easily be
    on the wrong way; the cables could be loose. Take
    advice, or don't.
    It doesn't confirm that the cables are good and secure,
    nor that the floppy cable is on the right way around.
    Again, open the box and physically check ALL of the
    cables.
    One step at a time.
    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2004
  5. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Sorry if I appeared that I was not taking advice.
    I have checked and double checked that cables are fitted correctly and
    firmly.

    Allan

    Allan, Jul 8, 2004
  6. If the floppy cable is reversed the light will stay on

    Peter Van Dijk, Jul 8, 2004
  7. Allan

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you check the motherboard web site for any
    BIOS upgrades?

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2004
  8. Allan

    Allan Guest

    All sorted now..................basically I reformatted it and started
    afresh.
    It would probably appear that the old drivers for the motherboard (VIA)
    might have been causing a problem.
    Thanks everyone for your help; I will probably be back soon as I am going to
    install SATA hard drive shortly
    Thanks again all

    Allan

    Allan, Jul 9, 2004
  9. Allan

    NoBody Guest

    Gigabyte says that this board has both IDE and Serial Raid.
    The "Please Wait For IDE Scan" message is for the IDE raid section of
    the MB. If you are not using any raid function or donot have any drives
    connected to the RAID outputs go to the BIOS and disable both IDE
    and Serial RAID. If at a later date you think you may use RAID then
    leave the RAID enabled in BIOS and when you install XP press the F6
    key when it asks if you have any third party RAID controller software.
    Get the ITA Raid from the CD and put on FDD as XP will only look at
    FDD for the driver.
    The reason I say install the RAID driver with the XP installation is if
    you don't install the raid driver they cannot be added later. They can
    only be added with a clean install of XP.

    NoBody, Jul 9, 2004
  10. Allan

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.