    to archive a point per point connection via the atm interface? i'm new
    at work and i think this could be my first and last project!! :|

    ciberado

    javi, Oct 14, 2003

  2. I work at an ISP which is a Qwest DSL MegaHost and we have several people
    using 827's that we have configured on the end of Qwest DSL lines.

    The 827 cannot be used back-to-back on a dry pair to create a point-to-point
    DSL circuit. It can only work on the end of a telephone-company supplied
    DSL line.

    There are some SDSL routers (Netopia, Efficient networks) that can do this
    over a dry pair. I am not aware of a Cisco DSL router that can. But doing
    this is fraught with peril because it is usually in most areas extremely
    difficult to
    get dry pairs from the phone company, and no way to guarentee that they do
    not have bridge taps in them, nor are too long.

    If by contrast, you are attempting to setup the 827 with an ISP that does
    not support it, your
    going to be having a rough time of it. You may get it to work if the ISP
    will do PPP-over-ATM,
    although we do not support the 827 in this configuration ourselves, we only
    support it in a bridged
    mode config. Frankly, DSL users are best off using the telephone company
    supplied DSL modem
    and plugging that into a dual-ethernet Cisco router, in my opinion.

    If you are in an area that cannot get DSL and you need to setup a
    point-to-point circuit on
    the cheap, get 2 ISDN routers and dial them into each other.

    Ted

    Ted Mittelstaedt, Oct 16, 2003