    whole system.

    bit annoying so can someone please help me with this matter

    D Gould

    the_gould, Jul 27, 2006

  2. the_gould

    Rob-L Guest

    Are you using your PC's "Disconnect Hardware" feature?

    I know with some cameras and other USB devices you actually have to
    disconnect before unplugging, otherwise you can encounter problems. I also
    know that some cameras have a setting that allow you to plug it in and
    take it out with the need to use the PC's disconnect function. (The Nikon
    D50 for instance)

    Also, does your PC reboot when you unplug other USB devices?

    Rob-L in L.V.

    -------

    Rob-L, Jul 27, 2006

  3. the_gould

    the_gould Guest

    I know with some cameras and other USB devices you actually have to
    I am aware of these things that you need to use the "remove safely"
    feat. but i cannot see anything like that. When i connect the cam (
    sony dsc p200 ) its cool. but when i turn the cam s power off or
    remove the cable it goes to a black screen then just starts to boot up
    again. I get a " you have reciverd from a serious error" do you want
    to report. i do report it.

    No i don't have this problem with any other USB device.

    this is quite annoying.

    Would be very gratefull for any help

    d gould

    the_gould, Jul 27, 2006
  4. the_gould

    bongo rule Guest

    i dont get that problem with the nikon D50, but thats a differant thing.

    what operating system do you use.??

    bongo rule, Jul 27, 2006
  5. the_gould

    the_gould Guest

    I use XP PRO SP1

    also in update to the question of using the remove device safely.
    i tryed that now and it dosent work. still doest the same thing

    the_gould, Jul 27, 2006
  6. the_gould

    Bill Funk Guest

    You can spend hours trying to track down what is an obscure problem
    (which doesn't make it any less annoying), or use a workaround: a card
    reader.
    I'd go for the card reader.

    Bill Funk, Jul 27, 2006
  7. the_gould

    the_gould Guest

    Yeah was thinking that.
    Would make sence.

    Cheers

    the_gould, Jul 27, 2006
  8. the_gould

    bongo rule Guest

    i dont know of anything that may help you :(
    but hopefully someone on here can.

    can you update through microsofts update site to SP2?

    apart from that it sounds as though you have a conflict one one of your
    IRQs.

    bongo rule, Jul 27, 2006
  9. the_gould

    the_gould Guest

    I did mean to type SP2
    Was just a typo

    cheers

    the_gould, Jul 27, 2006
  10. the_gould

    the_gould Guest

    i just got the blue screen coming up. it says

    NO MORE IRP STACK LOCATIONS

    i hope this can help with things.

    please let me know if i can do anything else to sort this out

    thanks

    the_gould, Jul 27, 2006
  11. the_gould

    Daryl Bryant Guest

    I suspect that you either have another USB device that's not compatible with
    your camera or perhaps there's an update!

    You can do what I call a device manager USB driver reboot!!

    The procedure goes as follows: Assuming you're using Windows XP!

    1st - right click on "My Computer" Scroll down to and click on "Manage"
    Computer Management window pops up!

    Next - Left click on "Device Manager" Scroll all the way down to "USB
    Controllers" and "open" left click "+" You should see all of your USB
    devices!

    Next - Right click and uninstall each USB device!

    Next - close your computer management screen and reboot your PC!

    Your PC will then reboot/re-install all of your USB devices in the proper
    IRQ, I/O Range settings!

    Daryl Bryant, Jul 27, 2006
  12. I can't help but I can tell you that I'm experiencing the same thing.

    Whenever a disk volume type USB device is removed from my XP SP2 PC, the PC
    crashes to a blue screen, which doesn't contain any helpful information
    You're not seeing the BSOD (blue screeen of death) because you have
    Automattically Restarr on System Failure enabled. If you disable that,
    you'll see the BSOD too and then you'll have to manually reboot.

    Note that it is any USB that acts like a disk volume, which includes most
    cameras and most card readers. In my case the suggestion to use a card
    reader instead of the camera did not work because they're both disk volume
    type devices and both cause the BSOD on disconnect. On the other hand, my
    USB scanner does not cause a BSOD because it's not a disk volume type
    device.

    I believe it's crashing in a driver somewhere but unfortunately the BSOD
    doesn't identify any driver or filename.

    I'm current on all Service Packs, patches, BIOS, and motherboard drivers.

    The Restart on System Failure checkbox is at:

    Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and
    Recovery Settings -> Automattically Restart.

    If you uncheck that you should see the BSOD on disconnect too.

    I started a long thread a few months ago on this in a XP newsgroup and no
    one ever suggested anything that helped. My PC still does that to this day.

    I would very much appreciate it if you would post here or email me if you
    find a solution.

    Remove the XNOSPAMX

    Bruce.

    Bruce Chastain, Jul 27, 2006
  13. the_gould

    bongo rule Guest

    right lets start affresh, :)

    plug in the usb devise.

    open "MY COMPUTER"

    Right click on the drive that the devise has made.

    select "properties" from the drop down list that appears.

    in the box that opens select the tab that says "HARDWARE"

    next select the devise in question. part of the name usually says "usb
    device"

    after selecting your device click on the button near the bottom that says
    "PROPERTIES"

    in the next window that opens select the tab at the top that says "
    POLICIES"

    next make sure that the part that says "OPTIMIZE FOR QUICK REMOVAL" is
    selected.

    now click ok.
    then click ok in the other window.
    restart your computer. then plug in the usb device and wait a minute or two
    then just unplug it.

    this should now be ok as it will nolonger be seen as a part of the computer.

    bongo rule, Jul 27, 2006
  14. the_gould

    Ronald Hands Guest

    Hey, that was brilliant!
    I've never had any problem with my five year old Pentium III, but
    it's always nice to know where a problem area might lie. I plug and
    unplug an MP3 player frequently, and the system has always handled it
    gracefully, no reboots, no BSOD. I also use the same USB port for a
    card reader, when required, and also plug and unplug without problems.

    I followed bongo rule's instructions and was able to see that my PC
    (XP Home, SP2, Asus MB) is set up correctly. Very reassuring.

    Somebody should write a book . . . (maybe they have!)

    -- Ron

    Ronald Hands, Jul 27, 2006
  15. the_gould

    Mark² Guest

    This isn't a fix, but it will save you headaches...

    -Buy and use a USB card reader & use it to dump your images onto your
    computer rather than connecting the camera directly. This is highly
    recommended ANYWAY--even without any of the problems you're having.
    It will be faster, easier, and won't run your camera's batteries down while
    transferring images.
    And...
    ....No more weird interface problems between your camera and computer.
    :)
    Bing!

    Mark², Jul 27, 2006
  16. My USB device is already set to Optimize for quick removal. I tried both
    ways. It crashes on disconnect regardless.

    And just FYI, if I do the "safely remove hardware" first, it BSOD
    *immediately* without waiting for me to physically disconnect the device.

    There's something in the volume dismount code that's causing the crash.

    Bruce.

    Bruce Chastain, Jul 28, 2006
  17. This didn't work in my case. Just like unplugging the camera, my system
    also BSODs when I remove the memory card from the reader.

    Bruce.

    Bruce Chastain, Jul 28, 2006
  18. the_gould

    Mark² Guest

    Ah.
    So this has nothing specifically to do with your camera...

    Have you tried removing ALL of your core USB devices from your system via
    Device Manager, and then reinstalling them?

    Mark², Jul 28, 2006
  19. Yes. I spent a lot of time trying things like that but so far nothing has
    worked. Thanks anyway.

    BTW, FYI, it also BSODs on device disconnect while booted in safe mode so
    that rules out a lot of non-XP software.

    Bruce.

    Bruce Chastain, Jul 28, 2006
  20. the_gould

    Rob-L Guest

    I may have not stated it clearly. I don't have any problem with the D50
    and my PC. I am stating that the D50 and other cameras have different USB
    settings options depending on how you want it to behave when connected.

    Rob-L in L.V.

    ----

    Rob-L, Jul 28, 2006