Help Optimizing my Growing LAN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by seanmcwherter, Nov 23, 2006.

  1. Our network has been rapidly expanding over the past 12 months, and
    what was once a blazing fast network is being bogged down with
    excessive broadcasts and misguided network traffic. I'm not an expert
    Cisco admin by any means, so please bare with me here. At the heart of
    our problem is that we have a slow link (54Mbps Wireless Bridge)
    between two buildings.

    Building A is setup as follows:
    35 Servers
    50 Desktops
    T1 connected to a Cisco 2621 Router, conneted to a PIX 515 6.3(3),
    connected to a 2950T on a Trunking Port, two other Cisco 2950t's and
    4 Dell 5324's (24 port GIGe Switches I bought to act as a fast
    backbone for server communication) connected to this .

    Interface Outside is a public IP, connected to the 2621 Router
    Interface DMZ is 192.168.2.0/24 VLAN 2
    Interface Inside is 192.168.1.0/24 VLAN 1

    Our web farm is on the DMZ/ VLAN 2, and all servers and clients in the
    entire company are on VLAN 1. The wireless bridge is also connected to
    VLAN 1.

    Building B is setup as follow:
    30 Desktops
    Just clients all plugged into cheap switches (read: may or may not do
    VLAN tagging). The other wireless bridge is plugged into one of these
    switches.

    What I would like to do is add two more VLANs. VLAN 4 for our servers,
    and VLAN 5 for Building B. My logic being that this will reduce
    broadcast traffic; eliminate traffic needlessly being transferred over
    the slow link when its target is in the same building. As well as
    confining server to server traffic to one VLAN for speed.

    Now what I need to know is how to make the most of what I've got.
    I'm pretty certain I've got all the hardware I need. All I lack is
    the experience and knowledge to confidently put this puzzle together.
    Add the VLANs and new Subnets to the "Inside" interface of the PIX.
    Then segment the switches accordingly. I would like to use the Dell
    5324's for the servers, as they are GigE. If I set every port to be
    VLAN 4, and move the cable going from the PIX: Inside to the 5324
    Trunking port, and then uplink from this port to the Cisco Switches,
    will I maximize my bandwidth? What I need to be careful to do is make
    sure that no server to server traffic is being routed through the pix,
    as it's obviously 100 base, and would eliminate any benefit from my
    GIGe hardware.

    Lastly, if you could help lay out the uplink structure you recommend,
    I'd REALLY appreciate it. An example: Dell Switches all ports VLAN4.
    Port 24 Trunk port connected to Cisco Switch. Wireless bridge plugged
    into trunk port on Cisco.

    Thank you so much in advance for reading through my long post.

    seanmcwherter, Nov 23, 2006

  2. seanmcwherter

    SushiSean Guest

    Really appreciate anything anyone can add to this. I just need
    reassurance that what i've proposed is the best way to go.

    SushiSean, Nov 28, 2006