Help on repairing faulty Hard Drives - Logic Board query

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by loris, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. loris

    loris Guest

    Hi all

    Power surge has damaged the 3 hard drives in one of our PCs. 3G
    Fujitsu, 15Gb IBM, and 30Gb Maxtor.

    Does anyone out there have direct experience of swopping logic circuit
    boards for any of these makes?

    Our progress so far: we've managed to get a match for the Maxtor,
    most of the numbers match up, but the (new) drive is a 40gB. We've
    had conflicting reports - some people say it will work, so long as all
    the other numbers match. Others say it won't, and must be exactly the
    same capacity.

    We're not trying to completely repair the drive for use, but just long
    enough for data retrieval.

    If you have done this before, and know what pitfalls we need to avoid,
    I'd be very grateful for any constructive info.

    cheers

    -DaveB

    loris, Nov 24, 2004

  2. loris

    Pennywise Guest

    |> Hi all
    |>
    |> Power surge has damaged the 3 hard drives in one of our PCs. 3G
    |> Fujitsu, 15Gb IBM, and 30Gb Maxtor.
    |>
    |> Does anyone out there have direct experience of swopping logic circuit
    |> boards for any of these makes?

    Maxtor, but they are all the same. My swaps of logic boards have always been
    from identical drives, and all successful.

    |> Our progress so far: we've managed to get a match for the Maxtor,
    |> most of the numbers match up, but the (new) drive is a 40gB. We've
    |> had conflicting reports - some people say it will work, so long as all
    |> the other numbers match. Others say it won't, and must be exactly the
    |> same capacity.

    Depends on how bad you want the drive to work, as to how close they match up.

    Pennywise, Nov 24, 2004

  3. loris

    loris Guest

    Thanks for that. Actually we've bitten the bullet and swopped the
    logic board from the 40Gb to the 30Gb. It wasn't a system drive so we
    put it into an XP machine as a slave, and it's seen it fine. Files
    were copying over when we left work, so should be ok.

    Now, if anyone out there knows if IBM & Fujitsu are as easy...

    -DaveB

    loris, Nov 24, 2004