Help on Instal 'PowerPoint'...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bigbazza, Dec 31, 2006.

  1. Bigbazza

    Bigbazza Guest

    Hi...Happy new year to all on 24 hour etc... It's New Year Eve here in
    Sydney.. Oz...So only a few hours to go for us..Strange..I will be living in
    2007 and the folk from the Northern Hemisphere will still be in the
    past..2006.. <BG>..

    Anyway...I was wondering if someone would explain what to do with the newly
    downloaded 'PowerPoint' that a friend of mine in California USA has
    downloaded at my suggestion..being 67 myself and the other friend is 71..And
    both of our Son's usually do all the installing for us ...I was sent an
    email from her a short while ago .. I will post it here..Could someone
    decipher it and let us know what that means ..We only use it for sending
    each other some PowerPoint presentations that have been sent to us by
    friends

    Barry,

    I downloaded Power Point, but I still get a message saying I should "create
    an association in the Folder Options Control Panel. Unfortunately, I don't
    know how to do that.

    Joy

    Bigbazza, Dec 31, 2006

  2. Bigbazza

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    We will help you. A file association is an association of a file type to
    a program on the computer that will start the program and open the file
    if you double click the file in Explore. In the case of PowerPoint, if
    you have file name Bigbazza.PPT, the PPT standing for a PowerPoint file,
    PowerPoint will automatically open the file and present to you in
    PowerPoint.

    I have Windows XP and I installed PowerPoint on it. It never asked to
    make this association during the install. What version of the Windows
    O/S are you using?

    When are you getting this message you're talking about?

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 31, 2006

  3. Bigbazza

    Mike Easter Guest

    Many more people have occasion to 'pass around' PowerPoint presentations
    than have the Microsoft Office Suite application to make or create those
    presentations. Microsoft's Office suite which costs some bucks includes
    the powerpoint making program, but most of the people who pass them
    around use some free program for displaying them Microsoft provides a
    free program called PowerPoint Viewer and the files can also be viewed
    with the OpenOffice Impress program.

    I have found it easier to tell people how to save the application from
    their mail and 'secondarily' open it with the Viewer than to tell them
    how to create file associations.

    MS's viewer is here
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...27-43AB-4F24-90B7-A94784AF71A4&displaylang=en
    PowerPoint Viewer 2003 lets you view full-featured presentations created
    in PowerPoint 97 and later versions.
    After Joy downloads the viewer, she should install it according to MS's
    instructions at the link. [Or OpenOffice]. Then, when she receives a
    filename.ppt, she should R click it and save it somewhere like My
    Documents and note where she has saved it. Then she should open the
    Viewer application and use it to open the filename.ppt.

    The file association method means that she has to find the proper
    application in the alert which comes up, and if it isn't in the lineup,
    she has to use the Browse function to find the application whose name
    and location she might not recognize.

    Mike Easter, Dec 31, 2006