    need? Perhaps through a USB port or otherwise to accomplish this.

    Thanks

    LEESA (I)

    LEESA, Nov 6, 2009

  2. LEESA

    philo Guest

    A quick Google search came up with this

    http://www0.dealtime.com/xPP-wireless_adapters--15089_microsoft_windows_98

    philo, Nov 6, 2009

  3. LEESA

    Mike Easter Guest

    This Dell may or may not have USB which if present may likely be USB 1.
    It will definitely have PCI, but we don't know yet how many slots are
    already populated.
    The term 'next door' means one thing in an urban apartment or
    condominium and it means an entirely different thing in a rural farming
    community where neighbors are considerably further apart or suburban
    houses closer together. Those factors make a lot of difference about
    the quality and strength of the wireless signal. There are a lot of
    people who have trouble acquiring a satisfactory wireless signal from
    one part of their own house to another.
    One advantage of USB wifi/s is that they often come with an 'apparatus'
    and significant antenna which would enable you to better acquire a weak
    signal. The apparatus can be placed strategically to acquire the signal
    and deliver the connection to the computer and its USB port over a short
    distance. If you simply install a wifi PCI card, about the most you can
    achieve 'away from' the computer is a short antenna.

    It would be useful if there were an available wireless laptop to
    research the signal strength in the location you intend for the Dell.

    Mike Easter, Nov 6, 2009
  4. LEESA

    richard Guest

    Ask your neighbor which system, n or g.
    I think the best way to go is to use a router.
    Some 98 machines were just coming out with USB2 so you should find a router
    compatible with USB1.
    While you're at it, upgrade the antennas to something a bit more powerful.

    richard, Nov 6, 2009
  5. Do you want to explain how a router is going to help Leesa hook up to
    her neighbor's WiFi?
    Pringles can.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 7, 2009